Riding techniques, share yours - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Riding techniques, share yours

Thought it would be nice to know how others ride their 310's or any other motorcycle for that matter.
Maybe some help for the newbies on, braking, cornering, accelerating, clutching, etc.

Are you a speedster, big leaner, slow and easy? Etc.

I will start it off with a simple and very effective method to smooth out cornering.
Brake early, so you are not braking in the turn, and accelerate midway through and power out
of the turn. Sounds so simple, but have ridden with many other riders, who don't use this technique and
lose the apex in the turns and don't have a smooth quick corner.

Let's hear some others!

Cheers
Rick

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Stay out of peoples blind spots, position yourself on the road where others can see you, coming up on a crossroad - position yourself (left or right of the lane) so that any cars coming out of the crossroad will see you earlier rather than too late. I also like to weave from side to side in the lane to make sure that approaching turning cars and cars in side streets see me (cars are more likely to see a weaving bike coming towards them than a bike traveling straight, it's just the way the eye works).

Always know that you have extra lean in reserve, i.e. don't hesitate and crash into a barrier, rather lean and ride through the turn (or at the very worst slide sideways into the barrier). Don't look at the barrier, always look where you want to go. Look at your tyres, those chicken fillets mean that you have an extra 30-40% lean when you really need it.

If you haven't done a riding course do one!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
If you haven't done a riding course do one!
Words to live by.
angiedave likes this.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
As a beginner, I found it helpful to being able to master the clutch control, especially when coming out of alleys/vertical pathways and you need to make a hard right without being in danger of popping to the opposite traffic line. It may sound second nature but as you go up in motorcycle weight, it gets progressively harder to make sharp turns from a standstill. Personally, in terms of control, this video gave me the most gains and helped me immediately become better:

Another thing I found very useful since -again- I'm a beginner is that like the above said, it's very easy to underestimate how much lean you have left. Most of the time people brake mid-turn when they see that they can't pull through, but the trick is to accelerate and lean; and like porth stated earlier the worst case scenario is that you'll slide. This has saved me once where I misjudged a turn and I was lucky to not have instinctively pulled the brake lever.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 AM

You don't mention engine braking, I think its the best brake on any bike.
Blackie likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 PM

Having used a Kisan Headlight Modulator for many years I can say this is one of the best safety devices besides a helmet and maybe ABS. According to the Hurt Report, a car turning left in front of you in an intersection is one of the most common 2 vehicle accidents involving a motorcycle.

A headlight modulator makes them see you, they almost can't miss you, 4 flashes a second is hard to miss. You can see how effective on the freeway when cars move out of your way and on surface streets when they don't inch out of driveways.

An headlight modulator combines with a LOUD horn and bright helmets and clothing have kept me out of trouble for many years.

Check it out.
porth and MichaelJ like this.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM

On both bicycles and motorcycles I have found that if I mis-judge a turn, using the rear brake to bleed speed will get be back to where I need to be. The rear brake used "lightly" will not effect your steering.

Also and I learned this many years ago, a primary rule in riding motorcycles, PAY ATTENTION.
angiedave, Gaucho and Cees Klumper like this.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:15 PM

"Always know that you have extra lean in reserve"

Yes, trust your equipment, with good tires you can lean your bike (counter steer) and get yourself out of trouble far more than you think.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Two things worth mentioning, I think: 1) In many states (and countries) headlight modulators are illegal, and 2) don't depend on that extra lean angle when you’re riding on rain-slicked roads, like the kind we get here in Oregon during our annual rain festival (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31).
angiedave likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM

Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states in the U.s. with information on the DOT website.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page