Fuel range calculation - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Fuel range calculation

Has anyone got info on how the range display on the remaining fuel is calculated?
The manual says it has a usable fuel capacity of 11 litres (approx) and a reserve of 1 litre (approx), it also says that the range indication comes up when the is down to the reserve level. So I was a bit surprised when the range indicator came on the first time, displaying about 80 km to go (ie way more than 1 litre left) - when I filled, I got 7.4 litres in, meaning another 3.6 litres or so left in the tank. I've filled 3 times now and each time, same thing, range comes on with about 80 km to go.

Doing some calculations myself based on the fuel consumption and the amount I put in, it would suggest that the displayed range is being calculated for the remaining fuel not including an approx 1 litre in reserve - giving a bit of safety margin. Does that make sense?

Anyone else got thoughts on this? What is the furthest anyone has done on a tank?

And while talking about refuelling - something else, when you stop for petrol, open the fuel filler cap, hinge it up backwards so you can put the nozzle in - it won't stay up out of the way, just drops back down to cover the filler neck.... grrrrrr (I will have to come up with a fix for this)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZWestie View Post
And while talking about refuelling - something else, when you stop for petrol, open the fuel filler cap, hinge it up backwards so you can put the nozzle in - it won't stay up out of the way, just drops back down to cover the filler neck.... grrrrrr (I will have to come up with a fix for this)
I leave the ignition + keyring in the filler cap, this is just enough weight to stop it closing. When closing and locking the cap, I push down on the open lock flap and have no issues re-locking it.

The garage

2018 BMW G310 GS (Goose) - Akrapovic Carbon exhaust, Barkbusters, RZM Adjustable levers, Rally Raid Touring screen, Rally Raid bar risers, Hepco Becker engine guards and Orbit C-Bow side cases, SW-Motech ION Tank Bag, SW-Motech ION pegs, Shad rack mount plate and top box.
2019 Honda CB500X
2018 BMW R1200GS Tour
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Garage
That is what I experienced too
The orange light goes on and the range indicator tells me that I can drive for another 80 km.
The bars on the display still give me two bars left.
My average is appr 33 km/ltr and that means when the light goes on I should have driven 33 x 10 = 330 km
At the moment the orange light goes on and I do not have driven that 330 km it means that I havenít reached the last liter (smart math !)
I think itís a safety issue too.

Your problem with the filler cap sounds familiar and is a little Ďpain in the .....í
Itís nothing big but just something they could do a bit better (maby an upgrade for 2018)

I had problems by closing the filler cap.
I have to use the key to close it.
It was not possible to close the cap just putting it down.
I need the use the key to lock it.

A suggestion was to fill it not all the way and I have not tried that yet.
I have to fill the Beamer up this week someday and will try to keep some air left
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Leaving the key in is a safety feature of the fuel cap, just fill it up to the cross bar in the filler inlet and you shouldn't have a problem closing the cap. I also tend to get about 7.5-8 litres into the tank when the reserve light comes on. Anyone game to ride it to 0km range remaining to see if they still get the reserve after this?
NZWestie likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Garage
Today I put 255,5 km on the clock
The yellow light was already on for 60 km.
When I filled It up, I had to put in 8,5 liters.

Average a little over 30 km/liter (normally I do 33-35 km/l.
With a full tank I had to be able to do 11x 30 km = 330 km

I think the yellow light is an extra warming and tells you, When the range is zero km, you start your last liter.
NZWestie and Geoff PD like this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
When the range is zero km, you start your last liter.
Yes, that's my thinking too.
Geoff PD likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 AM

This morning was down to 7KM left as per indicated by the "Range" function. Was able to fill with 8.65 liter. So even if I was very close to 0 KM, looks like I still had 2 liters in the tank... either that or that tank is not really fitting 11 liters. Only way to know would be to ride it until nothing in the tank, making sure to carry a jerrycan with you
NZWestie likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Fueled up today and with 30 miles left on the range and low fuel light on. I checked the tripometer and had under 130 miles on that tank of gas. Use 93 octane.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_r3dn3ck View Post
Fueled up today and with 30 miles left on the range and low fuel light on. I checked the tripometer and had under 130 miles on that tank of gas. Use 93 octane.
Wow. That's a lot less range than I was expecting. How many gallons did it take to fill the tank? We’re you riding it hard?

Edit: I see you’ve got an aftermarket exhaust, so I imagine you’re running it richer than stock.

Last edited by WoodWorks; 10-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
130 miles, that would be ~210km... That's just about right on how much my tank lasts as well. About ~300km if I'm riding it light, or ~230-250 if I'm stepping on it regularly. Should be just a bit richer than stock, not that much though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page