hello & possible rear drive issue - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
hello & possible rear drive issue

Hi,

I'm a many year BMW owner (since 1976 w/450,000 BMW miles). Love the 310 GS now with 6,500 miles since March 2018.

Currently noticed while on center stand there is "slop" in the rear drive sprocket carrier and the wheel assemble. No mechanical noise. Will have the Daytona dealer take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwroot View Post
Hi,

I'm a many year BMW owner (since 1976 w/450,000 BMW miles). Love the 310 GS now with 6,500 miles since March 2018.

Currently noticed while on center stand there is "slop" in the rear drive sprocket carrier and the wheel assemble. No mechanical noise. Will have the Daytona dealer take a look.
We have noticed on all 3 bikes ridden by our testers in the APC Rally by Adam and Amy, and Jenny riding the TAT in America, that the cush drive rubbers wear excessively over about 5-6,000 miles, giving the slop in rotation.
This has happened with both our billet hubs on spoked wheels, and the cast OEM wheels, so it seems like the material that the Cush rubbers are moulded from is not hard enough.
We have registered our complaint with BMW UK, and Jenny's bike was looked at by a U.S. BMW dealer who agreed that it was a warranty problem, and gave her 3 new rubbers from a bike in their showroom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:47 PM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
The Cush Drive Rubbers were also replaced by the dealer at my 6000 mile service under warranty. If it seems too loose it most likely is and will be replaced by the dealer. TAKE IT IN.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
Filed for future reference. Thank you all.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Anyone have any pictures of the worn drive rubbers?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Anyone have any pictures of the worn drive rubbers?

See the detailed Jenny's post here

12/2017 G310GS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cush drive follow up

I spoke with Daytona BMW to have them check availability of replacement rubber dampers. None in stock and they are checking availability from BMW. Then called Mac BMW Parts who also said they had none, also none in USA. He checked BMW Germany Inventory and it showed 1,000 there????!!! Doesn't look good. Check the post above for the "old time fix" using inner tube strips to fill in the wear. I may have to resort to this depending on what BMWNA replies.

Bummer!! Guess these will arrive with the side stand fix-up (mine is on the recall list).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
For the uninitiated, what do worn cush drive rubbers feel like?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To check rear wheel damper play, I grab the sprocket with one hand and rear wheel with the other and see if there is any play when you try to move the two. Doubt you will ever notice a problem when riding...until it's too late.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:04 PM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
For the uninitiated, what do worn cush drive rubbers feel like?
Yes, as bmwroot says, if you hold the sprocket and wheel in each hand, you can see if there is any for-aft play in the cush rubbers... (almost certainly there will be) - there really shouldn't be any, but a 1/4" is bad, and half an inch is really bad (in my opinion).

When riding, you may notice the wear though the rear wheel and transmission sort of pulsing/shunting - particularly under a steady throttle.

for info. as KTMmitch says above, when I asked the dealer about it while on my travels, they were more than helpful sorting me out under warranty overnight/the next day - top work BMW Las Vegas!

However, even the replacement rubbers soon showed signs of wear/slop - after just a few hundred more miles - and I resorted to sandwiching some strips of bicycle inner tube in there again at my next tyre change.

Ultimately, after another 7000+ miles of admittedly pretty hard on and off road riding, not only are the rubbers complete shot again, but I also now have side to side play in the sprocket carrier bearings - which is being dealt with at this latest service.

Basically don't let them go too far - if you have fore-aft play, get them swapped for new ones as soon as possible, and keep an eye on them otherwise the play can ultimately lead to wear in the bearings too.

Jx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page