<<Alles klar>> from Maryland - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up <<Alles klar>> from Maryland

Hi, forum! Like a lot of folks, I've spent a lot of time riding bike fast bikes all over the place, and now I want something light and easy to transport for getting around town and going camping when we take the RV out. I ride a Tiger 800 now, and recently had a DRZ400SM--I looked hard at getting another, but they're more expensive than the 310! My prior BMWs have been a '96 1100 GS (verrrry different animal) and a X-Country 650.

So I picked up my 310 GS from Bob's BMW yesterday: a demo with 250 miles on the clock. I've put another 75 on her since, an even blend of in town, curvy roads, and 65-ish mph four lanes.

I like the stock windscreen. At the 600 mi. service in a few weeks, she's getting the Akrapovic and a Shorai, and I've a tail tidy on order. Other than that I'm just going to ride a while and see. Suspension seems fine for now, I like the tires. My super-big interest is making her lighter. I don't think there's much to be done with the engine. There doesn't seem to be much happening below about 4000 rpm, nature of the beast?

I've put a set of Enduristan Monsoon 3 soft cases through all kinds of **** on my Tiger, but they don't fit the 310. So I'm getting some Blizzards. I also have a 20l dry bag that can go across the rack. I like that rack, it's big & wide.

The only thing I really don't like so far is the rear brake. I need to re-check the manual...it's mushy as **** but it didn't look adjustable (?). I also wonder if folks find it necessary to loctite screws on these.

So anyway, hi, and looking forward to the new scoot! --ridin / Mike

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A new exhaust should lighten things up, apart from that, consider a lithium battery for a little more weight saving.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
Hi neighbor (Northern Virginia here). I, too, was looking for something a bit lighter than my Tiger (an Explorer 1200) and am quite happy with the Baby GS. The rear brake seems to be a "feature" and not a bug - the consensus is that it is somewhat lacking on the road, but just about right in the dirt.

I've gone in a different direction with mine in that it's a mini-tourer with a bit of off pavement capability. The TEx is just too heavy for me to be comfy with it on loose surfaces.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks porth--yeah, that's the Shorai. Weighs just over 2 lbs I believe.

Hi neighbor--looks like we had a similar thought process! Funny thing too, the Bob's salesman turned out to be a former MoD guy I'd met a few times down in Dulles. Glad to know you're nearby, I'm between Rockville and Bethesda, on the park.

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page