Soon to be a GS owner !! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Cool Soon to be a GS owner !!

Hey guys !! This is Aaron here from Mumbai, India. Will be getting my GS(Cosmic Black) in a few days. So super excited about it. It's so good to see so many folks out here owning the R and the GS, sharing their sweet experience and trying to solve every problem out there. I just had a question for you folks, i'm worried about the PDI. What all should i check while taking the delivery of my baby GS?? Is there a list which i can refer to??

Thanks to all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 AM

Welcome Aaron. Personally I just gave the bike a quick visual while waiting for the paperwork, plus the usual checks before riding off. I trusted the dealer plus there's a warranty. Are you buying new or second hand?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee View Post
Welcome Aaron. Personally I just gave the bike a quick visual while waiting for the paperwork, plus the usual checks before riding off. I trusted the dealer plus there's a warranty. Are you buying new or second hand?
Thanks mate ! It's a new one. Over here in Mumbai it's a bit different. The dealer isn't allowing me to go and have a look at the vehicle in the stockyard/warehouse. Once they receive the whole settlement they get the vehicle for inspection and then take it to the transport authority for registration. The whole procedure takes 8-10days over here. I only get to see my baby GS after this whole procedure. So i am a bit worried. They have told me to keep trust, hence i'm asking for a PDI checklist. I've also opted for +2year's extended warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed, I don't need a lemon
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 AM

1000km so far and haven't had a problem, hopefully yours is the same. I think the main thing I paid attention to was the side stand actually, just wanted to make sure it had the fix!

Last edited by deegee; 10-18-2018 at 05:09 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegee View Post
1000km so far and haven't had a problem, hopefully yours is the same. I think the main thing I paid attention to was the side stand actually, just wanted to make sure it had the fix!

The side stand issue has been sorted out. Since these bikes are manufactured in India itself, I've opted for the latest one i.e September-October 2018 make. Parts are also easily available here. Not heard any complaints regarding spare's from any current GS owners.

Keep Rockin' Mate \m/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Garage
Aaron, I wouldn't be shy about buying a new bike from a dealer sight unseen.

I'm not surprised at the bureaucracy you'll have to endure (I used to travel to Mumbai for business monthly), but it does make it impossible for you to have a close look at your purchase before you sign the deal, as the papers are being sorted--which is how a lot of people (like me) are used to buying a vehicle.

To mitigate concerns, I'd suggest:

- Leaving extra time on the day you pick up the bike to check it out before you leave the showroom.
- Even if you're an experienced rider AND purchaser of motorcycles, it's a good idea to bring a knowledgeable friend for a second pair of eyes.
- In the unlikely event you see something amiss on the floor, be prepared to document and agree with the dealer on a remedy that day.
- Take a test ride while your buddy stays at the dealer, come back, and share impressions before you depart for the day. I would even leave a bunch of my stuff there in the showroom. This way, if you encounter questions or suspected issues, you, your buddy, and the bike are all still present right there at the dealer and they'll have to work with you.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much. I've bought cars and motorcycles this way and you should have confidence in the dealer. Don't be apprehensive...be excited, and do be alert! Best wishes.

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin View Post
Aaron, I wouldn't be shy about buying a new bike from a dealer sight unseen.

I'm not surprised at the bureaucracy you'll have to endure (I used to travel to Mumbai for business monthly), but it does make it impossible for you to have a close look at your purchase before you sign the deal, as the papers are being sorted--which is how a lot of people (like me) are used to buying a vehicle.

To mitigate concerns, I'd suggest:

- Leaving extra time on the day you pick up the bike to check it out before you leave the showroom.
- Even if you're an experienced rider AND purchaser of motorcycles, it's a good idea to bring a knowledgeable friend for a second pair of eyes.
- In the unlikely event you see something amiss on the floor, be prepared to document and agree with the dealer on a remedy that day.
- Take a test ride while your buddy stays at the dealer, come back, and share impressions before you depart for the day. I would even leave a bunch of my stuff there in the showroom. This way, if you encounter questions or suspected issues, you, your buddy, and the bike are all still present right there at the dealer and they'll have to work with you.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much. I've bought cars and motorcycles this way and you should have confidence in the dealer. Don't be apprehensive...be excited, and do be alert! Best wishes.

Thank you mate for your valuable advice! I must just bring to your notice that, the bikes are not stocked at the showroom in Mumbai. Their stockyard is located 50kms away from the showroom i.e outskirts of Mumbai. What they do is once the purchase(financial transaction) is complete, they load the bike in a small truck/tempo and get it to the showroom for the remaining procedures and also load the software (this is what they told me). I only get the VIN/chassis number once the tax invoice is generated. So yea i'm left with no option but to trust them at this point of time as i have already completed the financial transaction. My only inspection would be at the day when I would be called to pickup the bike from the showroom. So until then just wait and watch
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
My only inspection would be at the day when I would be called to pickup the bike from the showroom.
Right, that's what I was talking about above. Good luck and enjoy!

Now: Elfi (Elfineule, Elf Owl) a 2018 baby GS!
Now: Handsome Black, 2014 Tiger 800.
Then: too many to list, all makes. Each good in its own way!
Adventure bike (noun): the bike you have adventures on. Other definitions aren't relevant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page