Downsizing to a BMW G310R - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Downsizing to a BMW G310R

Hi from a 2016 Suzuki SV650 I have been downsizing my bikes for the past 5 years mainly because as you get older the physical weight of moving your bike around becomes more difficult I have had since I first started riding in 1975 nearly 20 bikes up to 900cc including all the Japanese makes and Triumphs (6) Moto Guzzi and BMWs (5) and my last downsizing was from a BMW F800R to my current bike a 2016 Suzuki SV650. I am now looking to downsize again and seen many reviews on the 310s and have been interested in this forum. I will be taking a test ride on a BMW 310R as soon as the weather here in the UK stops raining, but my question to any of you owners especially any in the UK is can the 310 keep up with the UK speed limits. My concern is on paper the difference between the 650 and the 310 is half in every spec a 650cc, 75hp V-twin down to a 310cc, 34hp single. I have never been interested in the top speed of any bikes I have owned I have always looked at the toque the engine produces to be able to maintain good progress and stay within the speed limits and road conditions. Can anyone who has downsized to a BMW 310R or GS give me their experience. I know it will be down to my own experience on the test ride but other people’s long term ownership is valuable. Many thanks and I hope I will be a proud owner of a BMW 310R in mid April, which colour is another decision my Suzuki is White/Blue with blue wheels so the HP would not be much of a change and they stopped the Blue in the 2019 models so it could be the Cosmic Black and I always associate Red with Honda.
Many thanks
Tony
W8NONU likes this.

Last edited by OldBiker; 03-12-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
Hi from a 2016 Suzuki SV650 I have been downsizing my bikes for the past 5 years mainly because as you get older the physical weight of moving your bike around becomes more difficult I have had since I first started riding in 1975 nearly 20 bikes up to 900cc including all the Japanese makes and Triumphs (6) Moto Guzzi and BMWs (5) and my last downsizing was from a BMW F800R to my current bike a 2016 Suzuki SV650. I am now looking to downsize again and seen many reviews on the 310s and have been interested in this forum. I will be taking a test ride on a BMW 310R as soon as the weather here in the UK stops raining, but my question to any of you owners especially any in the UK is can the 310 keep up with the UK speed limits. My concern is on paper the difference between the 650 and the 310 is half in every spec a 650cc, 75hp V-twin down to a 310cc, 34hp single. I have never been interested in the top speed of any bikes I have owned I have always looked at the toque the engine produces to be able to maintain good progress and stay within the speed limits and road conditions. Can anyone who has downsized to a BMW 310R or GS give me their experience. I know it will be down to my own experience on the test ride but other people’s long term ownership is valuable. Many thanks and I hope I will be a proud owner of a BMW 310R in mid April, which colour is another decision my Suzuki is White/Blue with blue wheels so the HP would not be much of a change and they stopped the Blue in the 2019 models so it could be the Cosmic Black and I always associate Red with Honda.
Many thanks
Tony
I have my gs310 and and in my opinion, it is not reliable. My gs only 3800km and have waterpump faulty and alternator faulty. To get it repait under warranty took ages. i have enough with Bmw. I have very bad after sales service. I am going to stick with japanese bike now. Enough nightmare with bmw!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

I have had many different bike from all the bike manufactures and you can have bad luck as with any product you buy the main thing is the support you get from your dealership and this can depend on the country you are in and individual dealers. I have never had a problem in over 40 years when a bike has had a warranty issue with all makes of bikes. Here in the UK BMW are very careful of their reputation and to protect this they now have only solo dealers selling BMWs and are strictly monitored on customer satisfaction. I have know over years of owning 5 BMWs, dealers who have been removed from the dealerships for bad customer service. In a emergency BMW can get parts imported within 48hrs even placing the parts in a BMW car being exported to UK I have also had a BMW mechanic sent to my home to replace a faulty part under warranty because the BMW dealer who was over 45 miles away calculated this was the most cost effective way of giving customer satisfaction.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 AM

Like yourself, my bikes have become heavier as I have got older - early seventies now. About a year ago I downsized from a 1200GS to a Tiger 800. This I find manageable though always aware of its weight pushing it around. At about the same time I bought a 310GS which was great and really enjoyable to ride. However seat height got to me in the end!

Now have a 310R which I love! A bit lighter and much lower. Strangely performance seems much quicker - I think it is slightly lower geared owing to smaller outer diameter rear wheel(?). Mid range performance is good and it pulls higher gears than I would expect. It will easily cruise at 70mph with about another 15 available subject to running in. So for every day riding no problem apart from overtaking which naturally takes longer and needs care.

I like the handling finding it light and easy and is not upset by bumps at speed. It is also quite comfortable and feels like a bigger bike!

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Blackie likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Garage
Hi, oldbiker,
why not take one for test ride..
likeyou I wanted a bike less cumbersome, I find the 310 a real hoot.
Keep up with traffic.? No problem, you need to review the nuts off it , that's where the power is.
Yes we've all suffered what you might call teething problems!!
In most cases a good dealer will sort them ..
have fun.. Jon.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
I have had many different bike from all the bike manufactures and you can have bad luck as with any product you buy the main thing is the support you get from your dealership and this can depend on the country you are in and individual dealers. I have never had a problem in over 40 years when a bike has had a warranty issue with all makes of bikes. Here in the UK BMW are very careful of their reputation and to protect this they now have only solo dealers selling BMWs and are strictly monitored on customer satisfaction. I have know over years of owning 5 BMWs, dealers who have been removed from the dealerships for bad customer service. In a emergency BMW can get parts imported within 48hrs even placing the parts in a BMW car being exported to UK I have also had a BMW mechanic sent to my home to replace a faulty part under warranty because the BMW dealer who was over 45 miles away calculated this was the most cost effective way of giving customer satisfaction.
You are lucky.... Here in Australia i have sicked dealing with bmw, my gs only 3800km, waterpump faulty took 2 weeks to replace, alternator faulty 3 weeks stillwaiting for part till now. The dealer as well as bmw seems very less supportive. Perhaps mine is a cheap gs. I give up dealing with bmw!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Oldgser thats the type of answers I was hoping for and having to be careful on the seat height is also one of the concerns when looking at any new bike in the past there has been many bikes I have looked at but the seat height has stop me buying a particular model. I looked at the Triumph Tiger when it first came out but it was a no no because of the high seat. I am now looking forward to a test ride because you said it can handle 70mph, I accept a bit more planning is needed when overtaking.

Last edited by OldBiker; 03-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Hi OldBiker
I did exactly the same. I am nearing 60. been riding since I was 16. Likes of BMW R80, 100 / K75 100, Honda Pan Euro/ VFR, Kwak ZZR and Ducati 1098 to name a few.
I have gone 'down' to the 310GS - my reasons for the GS was a commute of 40 miles on North Yorkshires finest roads, but they are poorly maintained. A road on my commute is named as one of UK best biking roads, why I've no idea its pothole alley. I am a short ar$£ at 5'7". a couple of years ago had a knee replacement and I'm just getting old and wiser.
The only thing I've found is clutch is very light. Your issue of keeping up with the traffic was one of my concerns before I bought - its no problem for me, even tho as you can see what bikes I've come from.
The 310GS is brilliant and I have no regrets and would recommend.
long way from home likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tukemeister, I am nearly 64 5'7" and I remember my K75c still one of my best bikes, but when I look at photos of the K75c I think how did I used move that bike about but I did keep it for 13 years and only lost £500 when I sold it for another BMW. The light clutch is something I will have to get used to again as on the 2016 SV650 you have Suzuki's clutch assist which means you cannot stall it as when you release the clutch the revs increase without the need to open the throttle must be great for new riders on a bigger bike it also means in stop/start traffic queues the bike will never stall even in the wrong gear and going too slow for that gear!!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Strangely my GS was very easy to stall, even after a years ownership(50+ years riding). For some reason R never stalls - everything is the same but different! Maybe as I mentioned before it is slightly lower geared.

BTW you can now get BMW heated grips for the R and GS - they work well.
long way from home likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page