BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Hello Forum

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Arion 
#1 ·
Got my 2018 310GS a couple of months ago as a 2nd user machine with 1600 miles on the clock. It was fitted with a few extras by the first owner, handlebar risers, hand protectors, rear mudguard and a set of engine protectors.
Found out that the sidestand recall had been done but not the brake recall. Took it in to the nearest main agent a fortnight ago and they found the road salt had indeed corroded the brakes so they needed changing. With corrosion after one winter's use I do question whether it could become an 'annual event' or whether they have changed to specification to prevent it recurring. Only applies to UK bikes I was told because of the amount of salt spray we get from our very wet salty roads. In the UK the roads get salted every time frost is forecast and we have wet winters - so riding in wet salty water is normal here.
Fitted a centre stand and found it used the same mounting points as the engine protectors so I will have to get the engine protector (with its metal bash plate) modified to fit again.
When doing the brake recall work they found two faults that were fixed under warranty - brake master cylinder was producing bubbles and paint was flaking off on the swinging off (photographed by dealer and sent to BMW for comment).

I am 75 years old and getting back after a 15 year break from a lifetime of biking on bikes varying from 50cc Honda (loaned whilst mine under repair) through Triumph Tiger Cub (1st bike), several BSA's (one a 600cc single with double adult and child sidecar), Jawa 350 twin, Kawasaki Trail bike,and a Honda CX 500 cruiser (for many years commuting). Looking forward to getting about on the bike now, firts impressions are good.
I live in the middle of Wales in the western part of the UK which is very 'hilly' and a favourite with visiting bikers because of the off road possibilities and the twisting winding, almost empty, minor roads here.

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome from another senior citizen who is knocking on the door of being 75 years of age. It's been many years since I've been in Wales but I do remember it very fondly and hope to return next year. My wife believes we should do something special for my 75th and I can't think of anything I'd like better than visiting Wales again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.