Getting your license - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Getting your license

Hi, I am interested how a motorcycle driving license is permitted in different countries. Here in Czech Repubic we have to take an obligatory 13 hours riding course and than pass a driving exam with the public authority inspector. The exam consists of two parts. The first one takes place on a a training field where we need to prove ten driving skills without a mistake. The second part is a ride in real traffic with an accompanying instructor vehicle. And of course we need to take a theoretical test of traffic regulations.

Btw. czech driving school can teach you using a tandem bike. I learned that way and it has some pros and cons. The main pro is that we drived in a real traffic since the first lesson. The main cons is that the instructor is quite heavy. The instructor can operate both brakes and the clutch and the handlebars. Picture of the bike is attached below. Is this a czech peculiarity? Or has someone seen this before?

Here the 10 driving skills illustrated: https://silnicnimotorky.cz/motorky/t...a-pro-motorky/

1. Drive the motorcycle forward without using the engine and park it
2. Drive at a speed of walking
3. Rotate securely by 180 when cornering U-shaped
4. Slalom in walking speed
5. Eight shape ride at walking speed
6. Repeated start off
7. Slalom at higher speed
8. Avoid the obstacle
9. Braking for accuracy
10. Emergency braking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tandem.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	549.9 KB
ID:	10708  

2018 Black 310 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Sounds pretty thorough. Here in California I had to take a theory exam (not difficult) and, for the practical driving part, I could either take a commercial driving course of, I think, a few half-days, or take a skills test in the parking lot of the driving license bureau. I opted for the latter: mostly it's about doing an easy slalom around cones, walking speed, followed by a very difficult circle, twice around at walking speed left, then right. The reason they make it difficult is that they really want you to take the course. In my opinion the driving test, which I passed but only after a lot of practicing on Sundays in that same parking lot, has very little to do with the real world situations you find yourself in. But at least I got my license (after having had motorcycle licenses in Holland, Switzerland and France since 1991. But those were not considered 'real' by the US authorities so they made me go through the whole thing again). What took the most time in the whole process was the hours and hours waiting in the driving license bureau, for every stage.
Fred Fleury likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:53 PM

My experience is similar to Cees's. I did the same - written test (easy) and two weeks later the skills test in the DMV parking lot. I learned with my brother and never really took any course. I passed it but I agree it has little to do with real life situations. Fortunately that was years ago and I've just been renewing the license every since.

Cees, did you schedule the appointments beforehand? By doing that it usually takes me 1-2 hours there only. Which is better than the mile long line of walk-ins
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM

In the US each state sets its own standards. Florida residents without an existing license from another state must take a course to get a license. The course is expensive. A veteran who lost a leg forced the state to offer STEP training as well as BRC type.

In Georgia applicant must pass a written test which qualifies them for a learners license and then either take a state approved course or pass a parking lot test. I found a office which is seldom crowded when renewing, which I can't do on line due to my maturity.

My wife's motorcycle endorsement was removed when she dropped her CDL and so had to start over. One office refused to give a sidecar test even though the state sets standards for the test and lists that office as giving it. She went to another office and helped the tester set up the course and explained each part of it. There is the usual cone weave, stop and go, left and right hand turns. Also there is a accelerate to a line and then brake test. Rider must end up stopped before the final line and is graded on the time needed. This is the only thing which actually in any way relates to real riding. Georgia does not offer a sidecar course.

Once license is issued it can be renewed on line for young people and in person only with an eye test for older folks. One license endorsement covers everything two and three wheels.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Fleury View Post
Cees, did you schedule the appointments beforehand? By doing that it usually takes me 1-2 hours there only. Which is better than the mile long line of walk-ins
Hi Fred - well, I had mixed experience with the appointment system. The first time, to take the theory exam, I did make an appointment, but when I got there 'the system' had lost it so I had to just get in line with everyone else. Lost a whole month that way, since appointments can be that far out. Whereas walk-ins are every day. For my driving tests, the system worked and waiting times were less.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
In Australia (Queensland at least), you have to have a drivers licence for at least one year, you then have to take a pre-learners course, this is a two day course on a closed circuit, costs around $400 -$460.

After completing the pre-learners course you need to complete the theoretical test and are issued your learners licence.

You are only allowed to ride a restricted bike <650cc in the presence of a fully licenced rider who can be following or leading you on a bike or in a car, you also need to be displaying an L plate.

After 3 months you can do your restricted licence course, this is a one day course that costs about $260, you are tested on your roadcraft and taken for a road ride.

After taking the restricted licence course you can get your restricted motorcycle licence for restricted bikes <650cc.

You are not allowed to take passengers in the first year of your restricted licence.

After 2 years on your restricted licence you can do your unrestricted license course, this is a one day course and costs around $200, you are tested on your roadcraft and taken for a road ride on a >650cc bike.

You are not allowed to take passengers on a >650cc bike in the first year of your unrestricted licence.

The fact that newbs are restricted to <650cc for a bit over 2 years makes the R and the GS very desirable and was one of the reasons why Australia was among the first countries to get the 310.
deegee likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Hi Fred - well, I had mixed experience with the appointment system. The first time, to take the theory exam, I did make an appointment, but when I got there 'the system' had lost it so I had to just get in line with everyone else. Lost a whole month that way, since appointments can be that far out. Whereas walk-ins are every day. For my driving tests, the system worked and waiting times were less.
Yes I remember them getting funny "I'm not finding you here.." with me too. What I do is print the Confirmation page (with that QR code thing) and print screen the confirmation email, this way you're geared.
Cees Klumper likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
In Australia (Queensland at least), you have to have a drivers licence for at least one year, you then have to take a pre-learners course, this is a two day course on a closed circuit, costs around $400 -$460.

After completing the pre-learners course you need to complete the theoretical test and are issued your learners licence.

You are only allowed to ride a restricted bike <650cc in the presence of a fully licenced rider who can be following or leading you on a bike or in a car, you also need to be displaying an L plate.

After 3 months you can do your restricted licence course, this is a one day course that costs about $260, you are tested on your roadcraft and taken for a road ride.

After taking the restricted licence course you can get your restricted motorcycle licence for restricted bikes <650cc.

You are not allowed to take passengers in the first year of your restricted licence.

After 2 years on your restricted licence you can do your unrestricted license course, this is a one day course and costs around $200, you are tested on your roadcraft and taken for a road ride on a >650cc bike.

You are not allowed to take passengers on a >650cc bike in the first year of your unrestricted licence.

The fact that newbs are restricted to <650cc for a bit over 2 years makes the R and the GS very desirable and was one of the reasons why Australia was among the first countries to get the 310.
Nice explanation. It's good that they've made it a bit tougher to get a license. The whole pre-learner part didn't exist when I did my RE, and that was only 4 years ago!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Me again

My first license, I pulled my 125 Enduro out of the back of the pickup, offered the examiner an opportunity to get on the back then rode around the courthouse square without having a wreck, using my turn signals and stopping at a stop sign. Soon after I bought a Honda F750SS and hauled the kids on a ride, This was around mid 1970s. Times have changed. With a learners permit in Georgia, rider cannot ride at night or haul a passenger but can ride anything including the biggest Goldwing.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 PM

In Pennsylvania, when you get permit, you can sign-up for the MSP (Motor Safety Program) which is FREE and the classes are written and driving. Only a few days and they provide the motorcycle for the driving part.

You can get your motorcycle driving license without even owning a bike. If you pass the test at the end of the driving class they will stamp your permit.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page