Is the stock muffler removable? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Question Is the stock muffler removable?

People seem to have installed complete exhaust systems as they are available. If you have can you tell me if as it looks, the stock muffler attaches to the exhaust with a clamp. I may be wrong, but it the muffler is removable I can wait for a slip on to become available. Then if I need warranty service I can just re install the original muffler. Most bikes I've owned didn't need a complete system for better sound and a small performance gain and weight loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Looks like the stock G310R exhaust system is one piece from start to end. I think the clamp you refer to is just to attach the system to the bike's frame (I don't think there is a joint underneath that clamp). That is why we don't see many aftermarket offers for slip-ons only and I doubt we'll see many, if any! (as it would involve cutting current pipe with no easy way to attach a slip-on and virtually no possibility to revert back to stock unless rewelding - not the best scenario)

The 2 colors make it looks like it's 2 different pieces but looking at the diagram you see a welded joint and just 1 single part number for the full system...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g310r_ex.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2041  

Last edited by heap; 10-20-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

The parts diagram explains it all. Thank you! I usually use slip on exhausts to save some weight and for better sound, the g310r is so light stock saving 15 pounds is not an issue. The sound stock is ok when you rev it and it' sounds angry, I wear foam ear plugs so the boring exhaust sound at idle and cruising speed is something I can live with.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Guess I'll wait till BMW Motorad offers a system that complies with their warranty requirements.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
you can get the Akras fitted by BMW. The price is not to bad compared to the systems that you can get on ebay, less than $100 extra and it's fitted by BMW.
G0MYW likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 AM

Any way the stock exhaust can be modded to make it a bit more free flowing?

Would be good if there was an easily removable db killer which could be extracted like on some KTMs.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
you can get the Akras fitted by BMW. The price is not to bad compared to the systems that you can get on ebay, less than $100 extra and it's fitted by BMW.
I wonder if getting it fitted would void or change the warranty at all.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White310R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
I wonder if getting it fitted would void or change the warranty at all.
MY dealer is the one who told me about the Akrapovic exhaust. The owner of the dealership after hearing mine told the sales manager to order one for the next G 310 R they get in so I doubt it would. You may want to check with your dealer though because it could be different depending in what dealer you go to.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical_r3dn3ck View Post
MY dealer is the one who told me about the Akrapovic exhaust. The owner of the dealership after hearing mine told the sales manager to order one for the next G 310 R they get in so I doubt it would. You may want to check with your dealer though because it could be different depending in what dealer you go to.
Well, as far as things go, it's BMW who provide the warranty, not the dealers.
Here's the relevant excerpt from the 2016 BMW warranty concerning the use of non genuine parts
Quote:
Non-BMW Parts: While you may elect to use non-genuine BMW parts for maintenance or repair services, BMW is not obligated to pay for repairs of the non-genuine BMW parts or for repairs of any damage resulting from the use of the non-genuine parts.
So from that, there is the possibility that if the bike suffered from any engine damage, BMW could turn down a claim on the basis that design performance was changed due to the different exhaust.
Personally, I can't see any reason for that happening - the fuelling is closed loop and seeing as your system maintains that, it should be tuning to how BMW set it up for regardless.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:47 PM

I'd love to get that aftermarket exhaust...as long as it means I can keep my warranty.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page