Has anyone tried removing the baffle from the stock exhaust? - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:54 PM

I really want to put on a new exhaust but I'm fearful about the warranty and if BMW would still honor it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 PM

My Two Cents on Exhaust Systems

If you are concerned about warranty ( and you should be ), I would recommend checking with BMW to get the details about installing the after market Akrapovic exhaust system.

As for removing the baffle from the stock exhaust system, beware that if you leave it that way long term, you can create problems for the oxygen sensor and the entire system as well because the change in exhaust flow also requires a change in the fuel injection mapping for mixture control. This could very well invalidate your warranty so in my humble opinion, you should not mess with the stock exhaust system! It is not worth the warranty risk and all the bother of trying to get the fuel injection sorted out for what may well be no significant change in power output.

Just Sayin!
JIMMYJUICYJUICE likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 PM

Akrapovic is the only company that BMW will continue to honor for warranties. All others can be just cause
to not honor under warranty if it is proved to be the cause of the problem. O2 sensor, valves, fueling, ECU, etc.
Having said all that, I ran a non approved slip on muffler (Leo Vince) on my K1200 GT, never an issue.
Most modern ECU's can self adjust modest changes to exhaust back pressures. I doubt that removing the
baffle will change much other than a little noise difference.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickster View Post
Akrapovic is the only company that BMW will continue to honor for warranties. All others can be just cause
to not honor under warranty if it is proved to be the cause of the problem. O2 sensor, valves, fueling, ECU, etc.
Having said all that, I ran a non approved slip on muffler (Leo Vince) on my K1200 GT, never an issue.
Most modern ECU's can self adjust modest changes to exhaust back pressures. I doubt that removing the
baffle will change much other than a little noise difference.
When I went to the INX motorcycle show I asked the BMW tech there about BMW honoring the warranty with a new exhaust. I was told he would get back to me. I'll probably reach out to BMW directly as well too.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
and ................ no !
I don't know how too remove the baffle from the stock exhaust because I do not have any interest in removing the baffle.
First, I don't like the (extra) noise when I'm riding long distances
Second, I love my neighbours
and third, it's illegal in my country and the fines are 'sky high' (and I have to buy a new stock exhaust !!!)
This response was a waste of time. Please - don't contribute to the forum unless it helps someone. Noone asked your opinions on how much better and more mature you are than some others. I don't have neighbors and ride remote mountains - you will never be annoyed by my exhaust note. Curious about the baffle removal even though I have an exhaust system. Here to learn everything there is to learn about this baby.

Is anyone here not at all interested in the warranty? I have a few bikes worth worrying about. Most of them have gearboxes or motors costing more than the entire G310R I now have and love so much.

I want to mod it any way I like and just don't care about the warranty. This care-free attitude is the main reason I bought this bike.

So, anyone have a response not tied to the warranty? Just about the facts of the inside of the stock muffler?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fais310 View Post
This response was a waste of time. Please - don't contribute to the forum unless it helps someone. Noone asked your opinions on how much better and more mature you are than some others. I don't have neighbors and ride remote mountains - you will never be annoyed by my exhaust note. Curious about the baffle removal even though I have an exhaust system. Here to learn everything there is to learn about this baby.

Is anyone here not at all interested in the warranty? I have a few bikes worth worrying about. Most of them have gearboxes or motors costing more than the entire G310R I now have and love so much.

I want to mod it any way I like and just don't care about the warranty. This care-free attitude is the main reason I bought this bike.

So, anyone have a response not tied to the warranty? Just about the facts of the inside of the stock muffler?

Not a total waste of time, we know that such modifications are illegal in the Netherlands and can attract huge fines, this would get others to check out their regulations, and, like you try to find others that have done it to see how much the noise increases. English is not everyone's first language, so best to read other's posts in a positive light. I did see a video on youtube of a G310r with an akra with the baffles removed.

PS Welcome to the forum, if I come across any videos of G310's with baffles removed I'll let you know

Last edited by porth; 05-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fais310 View Post

So....how much of your time was wasted reading a senior members response? 10-15 seconds?
Not all responses in threads have THE answer, but all are entitled to their opinions.
As previously mentioned, the baffle has a small weld around the circumference. I am pretty sure it could be ground out.
I have a brand new GS muffler if you want to buy it and try.
I put on the Remus high pipe, love it!
Pretty loud for a thumper and that's with the baffle in.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Can't help but be curious. Someone out there will buy a stock exhaust with a 'bafflectomy' and that's the only way I'll get the stock exhaust off my shelf:-)

I also went with the high pipe = good taste sir
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Always a loudmouth in these forums. Chill out and be polite.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 AM

Garage
Hi All,

Just regarding the exhaust.

I was informed that any exhaust change will void the warranty. Unless the exhaust or exhaust system is sold at the BMW dealership the warranty will be voided. This also goes for any accessory added that is not approved and may cause mechanical failure i.e. radiator guards, exhausts etc.

Conclusion from this is that while the bike is less than 2 years old and one wants to change things, do things such as tail tidy, rim stickers (if one wants), bar end mirrors etc but avoid anything mechanical.

2018 BMW G310R
2009 BMW R1200RT
2009 Vespa GTS250ie
1989 Schwinn LeTour
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page