Carbon Akrapovic not meeting requirements for the US? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Carbon Akrapovic not meeting requirements for the US?

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum.

I'm looking into that super badass black carbon slip-on instead of the all silver/metallic one.
However I talked to the dealerships here in Los Angeles and they said the carbon one does not meet the emission compliance and they don't sell it/nobody sells it.

Has anyone here in the US installed one? How did you guys go about it?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slipon.PNG
Views:	74
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	10094  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Seems odd that just the outside material would not satisfy compliance requirements, but what do I know about the technical aspects of exhausts. The PO of my 310R installed the steel version (with carbon end piece) that he got from, I think, Revzilla, and I am happily riding around with it, in LA. Don't know if that helps. I do like the look and prefer it over the all-carbon look but that's down to personal taste of course.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:45 PM
TYY

Hi Fred! Itís most likely because the carbon one does not have the cat. The stainless steel one does. Plenty of guys on the forum has the carbon version. I like that one better IMO but I got the stainless version because thatís all RevZilla had left and I couldnít pass up the deal.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I thought the CAT part was separate from the silencer, i.e. that that is the part that is just after the cylinder. Is that also available in carbon, assuming I am correct? Sorry if I am only confusing things.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Garage
Cats are not required

Exemptions:
California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
Diesel-powered vehicles that:
Are model year 1997 and older.
OR
Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.
Electric vehicles.
Motorcycles.

If California doesn't require a smog check then nobody does. Therefore the cat converter is not required, BUT the Akrapovic and other aftermarket exhausts may not meet the NOISE standards, and thus may still NOT be Legal.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:18 PM
TYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
Exemptions:
California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:
Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.
Natural gas-powered vehicles weighing over 14,000 lbs. .
Diesel-powered vehicles that:
Are model year 1997 and older.
OR
Have a gross weight rating of over 14,000 lbs.
Electric vehicles.
Motorcycles.

If California doesn't require a smog check then nobody does. Therefore the cat converter is not required, BUT the Akrapovic and other aftermarket exhausts may not meet the NOISE standards, and thus may still NOT be Legal.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/G310Rforum/smilies/tango_face_crying.png[/IMG]
This is straight from Akrapovic’s install manual. It has nothing to do with smog but modifying the stock equipment.

USA WARNING
Various U.S. states and the U.S. federal government have individual laws regulating the use of aftermarket exhaust parts and systems, especially as those parts and systems modify, remove, or replace original equipment catalysts. Please consult the appropriate laws in your area before installing any aftermarket part or system on your vehicle to ensure compliance with all applicable laws. Neither Akrapovic d.d. nor any of their subsidiaries or the sellers of the parts or systems make any representation that any of their parts or systems comply with any such laws.
CALIFORNIA WARNING
California laws prohibit the use of any aftermarket exhaust part or system that modifies, removes or replaces original equipment catalysts unless the California Air Resources Board has issued an Executive Order regarding such part or system or unless the part or system is exempted by being used only on racing vehicles on closed courses. Neither Akrapovic d.d. nor any of their subsidiaries make any representation that any of their parts or systems has received such an Executive Order or that any of their parts or systems conform with the racing vehicles exemption. The purchasers are entirely responsible for informing themselves of applicable California laws and to comply with those laws.

18' R (PWM)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:34 PM
TYY

Maybe it’s just like J-walking. It’s illegal in some places but not enforced?? Į\_(ツ)_/Į

18' R (PWM)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY View Post
Maybe itís just like J-walking. Itís illegal in some places but not enforced?? Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Kinda, it does get enforced by the federal government, it just takes making the wrong person mad.
they are starting to enforce the laws against tampering with exhaust systems more but mainly on Diesel pickups with those folks who like "rolling coal"
if you are busted and convicted you are looking at a fine of up to $100,000 usd, impounding of the offending vehicle with the requirement of you putting up a bond large enough to cover the cost of replacing the removed exhaust control devices to get said vehicle back. that can be as high as $10,000usd on top of the 100K fine.
I have heard of it being done in Georgia.
with the exception of California I have never heard of it being enforced on a motorcycle.

riding in a national forest without a approved spark arrestor can get you fined as well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers guys! And thanks for the heads up Focus Frenzy. This is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Seems odd that just the outside material would not satisfy compliance requirements, but what do I know about the technical aspects of exhausts. The PO of my 310R installed the steel version (with carbon end piece) that he got from, I think, Revzilla, and I am happily riding around with it, in LA. Don't know if that helps. I do like the look and prefer it over the all-carbon look but that's down to personal taste of course.
Got it. Yes, totally, I agree it's personal taste and both look good. Glad to here it turned out fine and you're having a good time with it man, maybe we'll cross paths sometime in LA! I live in the 101

Quote:
Hi Fred! Itís most likely because the carbon one does not have the cat. The stainless steel one does. Plenty of guys on the forum has the carbon version. I like that one better IMO but I got the stainless version because thatís all RevZilla had left and I couldnít pass up the deal.
Yes! That makes sense. And I noticed Revzilla has two installation manuals in their website: one with the cat, one without. Now it's clearer.

Quote:
Maybe itís just like J-walking. Itís illegal in some places but not enforced?? Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Man that is exactly the conclusion I came to. Nobody talking about it, nobody cares. LOL! Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I wound up getting the carbon one with discount from a Nevada dealership, so hopefully it'll be here next week.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:59 PM

I have it on my R. I like the appearance and sound. Just info for the GS guys it came with mounting hardware for both the R and the GS

Zck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180628_204412431.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	10114  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page