Cold start issue - Page 16 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in space View Post
to all owners having cold start problems, just open the throttle give it some gas, problem solved........
I'm really glad that works for you. !!!
Some of us have a more serious cold start problem. I've totally given up with bmw who are unable to fix this.
Thankfully spring is now here so I'm ok for the next ~8 months.😀.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0MYW View Post
I'm really glad that works for you. !!!
Some of us have a more serious cold start problem. I've totally given up with bmw who are unable to fix this.
Thankfully spring is now here so I'm ok for the next ~8 months.😀.
using thinner engine oil in winter might help, like 10W40. not a better quality petrol, as such thing does not exist. if anything, it is only ethanol-free gasoline that can be considered good petrol.

from what I learnt with older bikes, when there is a problem, there is a solution; the challenge is just to find the solution. i hope that soon will come some aftermarket fuel enrichers, because the way I see it, it the mixture at starting/idling that is just too weak, hence the need to pull the throttle. it is not a rocket science. bmw should have fixed it long time ago.
porth and G0MYW like this.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #153 of 171 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Main reason requiring to hold throttle open on cold starts i think is bmw saving money and not using IACV valve in their EFI throttle body.
When you check other bikes even small ones from relevant manufacturers they all have IACV to correct idle rpm and to help delivering more air on cold starts.
G0MYW likes this.
post #154 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
anyone else , as well as me , still having this [very annoying] Cold Start issue @ <5'C ..??
Yes winter is back here and my g310 only wants to work in a warm climate :-(
post #155 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:16 AM

on another forum I've read (not sure) that there should be a software update that should address the issue.
Is there anyone that had the software updated?
G0MYW likes this.
post #156 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 06:04 AM

My 310R was suffering from the same (cold starting) problem. I went back to my local dealer and told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted it fixed. After getting in touch with motorrad in Germany there was a certain number of bikes that were affected by this. There is a modification to the wiring (mine has been done now but my dealer won't release the bike till they are happy with this mod). It is 2 wires with connectors. If your dealer says there is nothing they can do then insist there is a modification. I feel there should have been a recall for affected bikes.
Hope this helps
post #157 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 AM

Garage
thats very interesting Ian. I've not come across this before.
Would be great if you can get as much info as you can , so that we can go 'armed' with plenty of detail.
My problem is my bike is now out of waranty.!!
This is now my 3rd winter of this stupid problem.
In fairness the dealer was as much in the dark as I am..
post #158 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 08:26 AM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian650 View Post
My 310R was suffering from the same (cold starting) problem. I went back to my local dealer and told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted it fixed. After getting in touch with motorrad in Germany there was a certain number of bikes that were affected by this. There is a modification to the wiring (mine has been done now but my dealer won't release the bike till they are happy with this mod). It is 2 wires with connectors. If your dealer says there is nothing they can do then insist there is a modification. I feel there should have been a recall for affected bikes.
Hope this helps

Of course temperatures were up when mine went for its 600 mile check, and the bike was hot anyway on arrival at the dealer so there was not much they could investigate on what I told them was one of a few widely known and discussed problems.

The technician was not entirely unsympathetic but revealed that instruction from BMW UK was that any problems discussed on the internet were to be ignored until such time as BMW UK sent out word that a problem existed.

We all know how likely that is.

I just open the throttle a crack and suffer it as a characteristic of the bike, which admittedly should not exist. I might feel differently if I used it daily.

Last edited by PCV; 11-23-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #159 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 AM

GOMYW
I'm sure if you plead your case, ie your problem arose whilst the bike was under warranty, then BMW will probably look at it sympathetically. It depends on how you approach them I feel. How it came to be known was the BMW in Germany looked at the readout of my bike here in UK as my dealer was unable to see any problems showing up but the bike itself was not starting. I think different dealers in UK seem to have different attitudes.

PCV. I'm only giving my experience. Only you can decide on if you think it's useful or want to act on it.

I have discovered on this forum that some do tend to "poo poo" other people's help/ideas however well meaning.
post #160 of 171 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:33 PM
PCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian650 View Post
GOMYW
I'm sure if you plead your case, ie your problem arose whilst the bike was under warranty, then BMW will probably look at it sympathetically. It depends on how you approach them I feel. How it came to be known was the BMW in Germany looked at the readout of my bike here in UK as my dealer was unable to see any problems showing up but the bike itself was not starting. I think different dealers in UK seem to have different attitudes.

PCV. I'm only giving my experience. Only you can decide on if you think it's useful or want to act on it.

I have discovered on this forum that some do tend to "poo poo" other people's help/ideas however well meaning.

Sorry, I wasn't poo-pooing your statement, which is useful, merely adding my experience in UK (your post did not indicate where you are). I agree entirely with what you say regarding recall but my experience is that BMW UK are "reluctant" to recognise well known problems. That you had to seek advice from Germany says it all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page