Cold start issue - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Cold start issue

Hi all. Have it happened to you that your G310 did not start easily, especially when cold?
It is happening to me quite often. Today i had to crank 3times and the engine didnt even pop. Then i tried to start it with open throttle and it finally fired up..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:26 AM

I'm still waiting for the GS so can't help you there, but I have heard of people adjusting the choke depending on how cold it is.
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidCool View Post
I'm still waiting for the GS so can't help you there, but I have heard of people adjusting the choke depending on how cold it is.
Choke? No. These bikes are fuel injected. Temperature is monitored by the system which adapts mixture delivery accordingly, not something meant for the user to fiddle with.
Goldbug101 and Derek like this.
post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Battery?
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:37 AM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
Sounds like a possible clogged fuel line or fuel filter. Also check the air filter. You need the triangle of ignition..... Fuel, Air. and Spark, any limiting of the 3 can cause that type of problem. Fuel sensor, air / O2 sensor, fouled plug. When you say cold weather how cold are we talking in F please my computational skills are crap with metric system and C. ?
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:38 AM

Don't look for complex problems. If there is a problem, it will probably be something simple on a new bike and easy to put right at the dealer. As it is a new bike under warranty, take it back to the dealer as messing with it could invalidate the warranty. Worth checking that the battery connections are tight before you take it to the dealer though as slack battery connections can confuse the bikes computer.
post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Sam

Had my bike for a month now and the same happened to me on few occasions, once I had to crank engine for about 45 seconds (not healthy for your starter motor), but sorted now. I bought 99 ron tesco mementum fuel and did not have problem since, it takes 3/4 engine turns and fires up without smallest problem.
cfaircraft likes this.
post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:36 AM

Garage
just remember these bikes are not meant to be using the cheapo gas, spend the few extra pennies, it does make a diff. and most euro vehicles are not designed for alcohol mixed fuels either.
mtwashington likes this.
post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Sam

Very true that, what I used before was fuel from local scrapyard, was free so I took it. I imagine if kept running my bike on it, it would cause o2, catalyst problems sooner then needed. G310 is very fuel efficient and I just bang my head - what was I thinking.
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I had a cold start issue initially, when the bike was in the first 100km and still had the petrol from the dealership, no such issue after I started using 98ron.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page