BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Cold start issue

145K views 284 replies 87 participants last post by  Cyrille 
#1 ·
Hi all. Have it happened to you that your G310 did not start easily, especially when cold?
It is happening to me quite often. Today i had to crank 3times and the engine didnt even pop. Then i tried to start it with open throttle and it finally fired up..

#5 ·
Sounds like a possible clogged fuel line or fuel filter. Also check the air filter. You need the triangle of ignition..... Fuel, Air. and Spark, any limiting of the 3 can cause that type of problem. Fuel sensor, air / O2 sensor, fouled plug. When you say cold weather how cold are we talking in F please my computational skills are crap with metric system and C. ?

#6 ·
Don't look for complex problems. If there is a problem, it will probably be something simple on a new bike and easy to put right at the dealer. As it is a new bike under warranty, take it back to the dealer as messing with it could invalidate the warranty. Worth checking that the battery connections are tight before you take it to the dealer though as slack battery connections can confuse the bikes computer.

#7 ·
Had my bike for a month now and the same happened to me on few occasions, once I had to crank engine for about 45 seconds (not healthy for your starter motor), but sorted now. I bought 99 ron tesco mementum fuel and did not have problem since, it takes 3/4 engine turns and fires up without smallest problem.

#9 ·
Very true that, what I used before was fuel from local scrapyard, was free so I took it. I imagine if kept running my bike on it, it would cause o2, catalyst problems sooner then needed. G310 is very fuel efficient and I just bang my head - what was I thinking.>:)

#97 ·
Same for me. I put the bike in the back of my truck for my 350 mile commute home from the dealership. When I unloaded it, it did NOT want to start -- this was at 5 miles. I've never had the issue since and I've started it in 40F weather no problemo.

#11 ·
Hello there!

This is My experience with the G310R so far. It as been a three weeks and My first service today.

The below information are an exert from My post/review of the bike.I thought I will share it with You, sorry if I can't help more.

The Ignition, no problems for me there, no mis start issue so far. I may add that's the engine temperatures never went below 26°C or 78.8°F so far, this may be the reason?

#130 · (Edited)
The Netherlands are calling to Slovakia. :wink2::grin2:

I can confirm that there is a new camshaft. But my poorly starting G310GS (without throttle) did not perform any better than my old G310R (started always without throttle but had to press a little longer - can not test it anymore over and over again to compare as it has a new owner).
But 15° throttle is the way to go. Officially told today. This works for me.

I have to say that both my G310R and G310GS were not able to have a long starting procedure.
The starter stalled after 3-4 seconds.
But the dealer stated that they have not changed anything after examining my motorcycle when it was brought in.

Good luck all!
One happy G310GS driver @0°C.

Attachments

#12 ·
I know some people here have recommended using 98 octane fuel to avoid this problem. But here in Colombia the best fuel that I can get is 92 octane, is there any other suggestion for this cold start problem?
Sometimes it takes me 5 attempts and a little bit of throttle in order for the bike to start in cold mornings.

#13 ·
How cold are these cold mornings you are having? This week we had days at 9 Celcius (48 F) here (eastern Canada) and bike started without hesitation. Not normal having to twist the throttle to start. As other suggested I would visit the dealer to troubleshoot.

#19 ·
I agree ... the morning temperatures here are now <10' C and cold starting has become a problem. 1st service next week (1000kms) so maybe the dealer can fix / suggest a cure.
Although from what I've read I don't hold out much hope.
Seems we need a EFI re-map to adjust for the colder climate(s).

#25 ·
Interesting...

There seem to be different versions of the owners manual out there. Downloading the manual online from BMW's canadian or US websites, there is no mention for cold start. However, when I check in the actual physical manual I got with the bike, on the same page, there is indeed some wording about it: "turn the twistgrip slighlty". Pictures attached for reference.

I personally never had issues in cold mornings yet but I'll sure remember to try this if it happens! (And I take my words back for saying in a previous post one should not have to twist throttle for starting its bike- first time I see such instructions for an EFI bike :eek:)

Attachments

#23 ·
The dealer told me when I collected my G310R that it's important to fuel 98 instead of 95 (only 2 options in Belgium). He told me I would notice a big difference in driving and in general, so I suppose things like cold start issues. Didn't experience cold start issues so far (1000km at this moment). Guess fuel type is important because the bike has only 1 cylinder.

#26 ·
My cold start issue is gone, It happened I think 4 times in total and I really struggled to get bike going.
Now using 99 tesco mementum fuel and if not available I add 10ml/tank of millers fuel additiveto normal (95 octane). My bike now starts at 3 deg celcius, so far so good. I also got battery conditioner for winter to help bike out when them really drops down.
Hope it helps somebody

#31 ·
OK ... my bike has been at the dealer all day.
they've just phoned to say "yes they agree there is a Cold Start issue"
AND that they've done a Software update to the EFI ...
They plan to check the cold start tomorrow morning (forecast 3'-4'C)

So will keep you up to date with any more dealer comments..

#32 ·
GOMYW - I'll carry on discussion here

Thank you, that is so helpful.
I had the same trouble this morning, identical to your description.
Have it on headcam so can show the technicians.

The dealer has told me to phone BMW assist, tell them I can't start it, and get them out to look at it and they'll take it in if they deem it necessary.

G0MYW Can I ask where you are based, which dealer you are at?

#36 ·
Aha. I have asked a few biker motorheads and they have said either don't know or out released. Hence the not so daft question. 'Dis' engage seems to confuse people.

Would make sense 'clutch in' thinking logically as you would on a normal day start the bike without touching the clutch? (unlike my last bike).

So are we going with 100% sure pull the clutch lever in for disengage ?!?!

#42 ·
Yes :)

Why does this help? - because in neutral, with the clutch lever out, gearbox input shafts and counter shafts are turning, and when it is cold (oil is thicker), there can be a bit of added friction or drag from this. When you pull the clutch lever in, you are disengaging the gearbox input shaft from the motor, so the starter motor can spin the engine just a little bit easier and faster - all of which aids starting.