Front Wheel Noise - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Front Wheel Noise

I have almost 190 miles on my 310 in 3 days. I noticed today a ton of front wheel noise. Never before do I remember hearing this much on my other bikes.

I thought it could be brake but it does not change if you apply the brake. Putting it into neutral and rolling down a hill also produces it so I do not believe it is vibration from the engine.

Anyone notice this? It seems worst on the front left but as I mentioned, does not seem to brake related as it does not change when applying the brakes. Speed makes the noise more prevalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:44 AM

What sort of noise? - can you describe it? Any chance you've got something caught somewhere in the caliper and it's scraping / rubbing on the disc rotor?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Garage
If possible, lift your front wheel (hard without the center stand, but if someone gives you a hand (or two), it is possible)
Then turn the wheel around and try to find out if and where that noise comes from.
Also check your bearings.
Good luck and if you canít find it, go to your dealer ,
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What sort of noise? - can you describe it?
I will try my best...the most accurate way to describe it is the sound kids bicycles made when they would put baseball cards on their front fork to get that "click click" noise. I hope that makes sense...

Quote:
Also check your bearings.
That's my big fear. Braking doesn't change it, nothing seems loose. I'll check again for anything being caught but I didn't see anything last night.

I'll keep everyone updated.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White310R View Post
I will try my best...the most accurate way to describe it is the sound kids bicycles made when they would put baseball cards on their front fork to get that "click click" noise. I hope that makes sense...
I know that sound - used to do that as a kid. So, the noise increases in frequency with speed?
If you get things caught around the rotor or pads, the noise is going to be more like rubbing, scraping, squealing.
There's the wheel speed rotor and sensor (on the inside of the fork), but if anything came off there the ABS warning should come on.
Could be a bearing breaking up, but they normally rumble and sound rough and I would have thought you'd feel it through the front wheel.
Something completely off the wall - check there isn't a crack in the disc rotor...

Agree with @Bas310 , if you can get the front wheel up so you can spin it, that would help enormously to pinpoint where it is coming from and if it occurs in just one place or randomly - but most of us don't have that option.

Bottom line for me, if I couldn't find a reason inside a few minutes of looking, I'd be at the dealers pronto...
snowboarder1493 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM

"So, the noise increases in frequency with speed? "

This is the question...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 AM

Garage
What did your dealer told you ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas310 View Post
What did your dealer told you ?
I'm being told chain noise. Could it be? Maybe. Seems louder than any other bike if had. Needless to say, they were cool about it and asked me to continue to stop in as I'm putting more miles on it daily. I've become the unofficial test bike of the shop.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White310R View Post
I'm being told chain noise. Could it be? Maybe. Seems louder than any other bike if had. Needless to say, they were cool about it and asked me to continue to stop in as I'm putting more miles on it daily. I've become the unofficial test bike of the shop.
Well, can't rule it out - but for it to be chain noise, I'd have thought you'd hear it coming more from behind / underneath you.
Check chain tension, lubrication - also the little roller for the bottom run of the chain (its part of the side stand mount)...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM

Garage
today i stopped the engine in mid flight and listened, i heard a noise that could indeed be the chain rolling over the
plastic chainguides

Last edited by luckmeister; 10-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page