Blue Smoke... - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Blue Smoke...

Just picked up our 2018 G310R on Saturday...got about 5 miles from the dealer and it started spewing blue smoke out of the exhaust (it's not a 2-stroke), lost power and shut down. Anyone else have this issue yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 03:38 PM

Garage
get it back to the dealer :-(
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 PM

If it was a 2-stroke engine, you wouldn't even need to worry about it, but I've never faced this issue on 4-stroke one.

Here what I found:
Quote:
Among the possible reasons for this are:
overfilling of the engine with oil, excessive wear of piston rings or valve guide seals, leaks in the cylinder head gasket allowing oil to get in the combustion chamber, malfunction of crankcase ventilation system
… and some other possible reasons.

Quora.com
Maybe you will get something useful from there. Anyways, you should bring it back to the dealership and see what they will say. Keep us posted.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSeatBelt View Post
Just picked up our 2018 G310R on Saturday...got about 5 miles from the dealer and it started spewing blue smoke out of the exhaust (it's not a 2-stroke), lost power and shut down. Anyone else have this issue yet?
Brand new - this should not happen. Blue smoke is oil being burned so something is pretty wrong somewhere. Did you see if the engine fault light was on, or the high temperature warning light?
I think I'd actually be asking them to take the bike back and exchange it for a new one.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:31 PM

@NoSeatBelt should also add that what you describe (blue smoke, loss of power and stopping) tends to suggest a partial seizure of the engine may have occurred.

If that has happened, there will be cylinder wall, piston and piston ring damage requiring a major strip down. The question is why it would have happened. Running through my mind is whether there was any coolant (or enough coolant) in the system to prevent the engine from overheating and causing this, and / or if there was enough oil in the engine - either one or combination of both.

But the bike should have been PDI'd by the dealer (pre delivery inspection) - after uncrating the bike, their service guys should be checking all the fluid levels, brakes, chain tension, etc before you ride off.

Keep us posted on this.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSeatBelt View Post
Straight back to the dealer as it is under warranty and therefore their problem not yours.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hope you called up BMW roadside assist straight away to pick up the bike (do you get 2 years BMW roadside assist in the, I assume, US?). Make sure you demand a brand new bike, otherwise ask for a refund and buy from a different dealer.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Even better, leverage this to get them to put an akra exhaust on your bike for free.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Garage
sounds suspiciously like no oil was put in by the dealer ..!..?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM

Mine was smoking after4 miles from thee exhaust with the engine shutoff
I think its oil or something from exhaustmanufacturing after 25miles no smoke only smell from oil because everything was new and the machine was hot enough to burn all the oil inside the engine and parts from fabrication

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page