4Likes
  • 2 Post By jganoza
  • 2 Post By bmwrider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Discharge issue

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to share what recently occurred to me on my G310R regarding my battery discharging. I was out for a ride around town and pulling into the local gas station I hit a decent sized bump. After leaving the station on my ride home, my bike shut off on me completely! I pulled over and let the bike sit and attempted again to ride home, only leading to the bike shutting off again mid-ride. After trying to start the bike again, I was given the check battery symbol on the dash. I popped the seat off to check the battery terminals and everything was tight. So now without being able to ride home, I called up my dealership and they took it in over the weekend to figure out the issue. They replaced the battery and the bike rode well during their testing, but the next morning they attempted to ride the bike with the new battery installed only to find that the battery had died again! This led us to think that there is a short somewhere in the bike causing the battery to drain in such short amount of time. Of course I mentioned to them the event of me hitting the bump pretty hard, and they are taking that into account when diagnosing the problem.

The bike is fairly new with only 100 miles on the odo, and I have been riding it conservatively until the break in period is finished. I did not have the bike on a battery tender and the rides before this incident went well without any issues, only leaving me to think that the bump I hit may have thrown something off. Just wanted to share the info with you guys in case anyone else comes across the issue. I will post updates as I get them, happy riding!
heap and G0MYW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 AM

Garage
Have you got this sorted yet? There is something drawing excessive current to do this especially when the engine is running, replacing the battery has eliminated that as a potential cause. I hope this is sorted out under warranty, but it might be a bit of a pig to find.

2017 BMW G310R.
2012 Honda NC700X DCT.
2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like the battery is not charging, did they check the connections from the alternator to the battery?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM

I doubt it's the battery being drained. If they put a new battery in and it died again, after just sitting briefly.
Wonder what the voltage on the batteries was?
Connections, ecu, grounds, etc., electronic troubleshooting drives me nuts.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM

Hopefully they can figure out the problem or just replace the broken bike with a new problem free one. Let us know what they say when they finally figure out what's wrong.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys,

Bike was sorted out a couple weeks after this occurred, I've been busy with school so sorry for the late response! Issue was a bad ground, I was riding over some rough road and bike took a couple of big bumps pretty hard so that led us to think that one of the grounds had come loose or something similar. After looking over all the ground points and making sure all connections were good, they tested the bike (aka riding it for a couple of days/letting it sit to ensure battery would not drain) and its been running well since. It seems as if one of the grounds was causing the parasitic battery drain. Now I know that riding consistently over rough terrain might lead that to happen since the bike is really only meant for street use, but I had to take that road to get home that day so what happens, happens! BMW covered it fully, they did a whole diagnostic check on the bike and everything seems good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jganoza View Post
Hey guys,

Bike was sorted out a couple weeks after this occurred, I've been busy with school so sorry for the late response! Issue was a bad ground, I was riding over some rough road and bike took a couple of big bumps pretty hard so that led us to think that one of the grounds had come loose or something similar. After looking over all the ground points and making sure all connections were good, they tested the bike (aka riding it for a couple of days/letting it sit to ensure battery would not drain) and its been running well since. It seems as if one of the grounds was causing the parasitic battery drain. Now I know that riding consistently over rough terrain might lead that to happen since the bike is really only meant for street use, but I had to take that road to get home that day so what happens, happens! BMW covered it fully, they did a whole diagnostic check on the bike and everything seems good.
Over the years of observing what new bike owners are going through (because for years I have been getting used bikes), I have realized that we need to get our bikes inspected by tech's we have confidence in. At least that way we can be proactive towards problems like this and possibly find them before they appear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
Over the years of observing what new bike owners are going through (because for years I have been getting used bikes), I have realized that we need to get our bikes inspected by tech's we have confidence in. At least that way we can be proactive towards problems like this and possibly find them before they appear.
Agreed! My Tech is someone that has worked on my fathers bike so we trust him when we have sent in the G310R. It took a while to figure out just because it was a weird issue that stumped us and the tech, but after he got it figured out then we all understood what was going on.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page