Bike is a piece of crap - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Bike is a piece of crap

I was really happy with my test ride, but I bought a new g310r last week and after a few days of riding, I can safely say it's a total piece of crap. The brakes are horrible, totally unsafe. The gas cap is ridiculously difficult to open. Once you do get it open, they've for some reason put a metal bar inside the tank, so the gas pump can't fit inside. If it can't fit inside, it can't make a seal. If it can't make a seal, you can't operate the pump. I had to take it straight home. Piece of crap bike, not a BMW, working with the dealership on how to get rid of it. If you're here because you're thinking of getting this bike - DO NOT BUY IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August Miles View Post
I was really happy with my test ride, but I bought a new g310r last week and after a few days of riding, I can safely say it's a total piece of crap. The brakes are horrible, totally unsafe. The gas cap is ridiculously difficult to open. Once you do get it open, they've for some reason put a metal bar inside the tank, so the gas pump can't fit inside. If it can't fit inside, it can't make a seal. If it can't make a seal, you can't operate the pump. I had to take it straight home. Piece of crap bike, not a BMW, working with the dealership on how to get rid of it. If you're here because you're thinking of getting this bike - DO NOT BUY IT!
Just pull back on the seal of the pump princess. Brakes are fine, the bike is a joy!
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:06 PM

Garage
I've been riding motorcycles for 27 years and got a G310R for my wife's first bike (learner bike) and couldn't be happier with it. I ride it way more than she does, giving me a fun light bike to ride when I'm not on my R1200GS Adventure.

Not sure what you are complaining about... without the bar in the gas tank fill, the pump would go too far into the tank and not fill the tank all the way up. The float in the pump would prematurely float up and stop the pump. I've never had a problem filling it after more than 700 miles on the bike.

The brakes are awesome, especially on a bike for less than $5K USD. It doesn't perform like my GS Adventure's Brembo brakes, but it also didn't cost $30K USD.

Just relax and enjoy the bike and accept that you probably have a bit to learn about the bike, as we all should with a new bike.

If you have any specific problems, bring them up here or another group and someone will most likely help you out.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentAJ View Post
I've been riding motorcycles for 27 years and got a G310R for my wife's first bike (learner bike) and couldn't be happier with it. I ride it way more than she does, giving me a fun light bike to ride when I'm not on my R1200GS Adventure.

Not sure what you are complaining about... without the bar in the gas tank fill, the pump would go too far into the tank and not fill the tank all the way up. The float in the pump would prematurely float up and stop the pump. I've never had a problem filling it after more than 700 miles on the bike.

The brakes are awesome, especially on a bike for less than $5K USD. It doesn't perform like my GS Adventure's Brembo brakes, but it also didn't cost $30K USD.

Just relax and enjoy the bike and accept that you probably have a bit to learn about the bike, as we all should with a new bike.

If you have any specific problems, bring them up here or another group and someone will most likely help you out.
I appreciate that, and I'm glad you're liking it. I loved it at first - I even liked it more than my previous R1200R, for the agility and the fun factor. But it has a tiny tank, and filling it is a total pain at best, friggin' impossible with some tricky pumps. The brakes, for me at least, are not nearly adequate. I would not trust this thing in a dicey situation where some serious brake is needed. I hit a yellow light on a fast road today and thought I was about to slide into cross traffic. I'm taking it on the road one more time, and that's back to the dealer. Enjoy it, but tell your wife not to take it over 40mph, otherwise she won't be able to stop in time. I'm not trusting my life with this junk.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 PM

So... the brakes feel different than what you’re used to, and you’ve never had to use your left hand to hold back the rubber gasket on a gas pump before.

If those are deal breakers for you, then yeah, my guess is this bike is not for you.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:32 AM

Garage
Thank God, the beamer is not perfect.
If it was, we did not have anything to complain / talk about in this forum.

Life is boring when everything is 100% perfect.
Would you want to live with the perfect woman.

We say: every bike is perfect but some bikes need some more 'attention' ;-)

I have driven BMW's for more then 30 years (first one in 1979) and they all had their little 'things'.
It's the challenge to find them and make them better or just live with them (like a marriage) !
It's character LOL
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
the gas pump can't fit inside. If it can't fit inside, it can't make a seal. If it can't make a seal, you can't operate the pump.
I've never heard of a petrol nozzle that needs to make a seal, what country, state do you live in?

Brakes need some time to bed in, what exactly is your problem with the brakes? How many K's have you done?

If there is a major problem with the brakes, get it back to the dealer.

What type of bike did you ride before?

I've had problems with the petrol cap not closing easily, I found that if the tank is filled to the bar, not above, it closes easily.
angiedave likes this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe he's from Oregon, apparently they have to pump their own gas now in Oregon and they are having melt downs because they don't know how to pump gas.
angiedave, Igduff and SCG310R like this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
They have had those type of petrol pumps in Switzerland for at least 25 years. You just use two hands - one on the pump and one pulling up the gaiter. There are metal bars under the fuel cap on a lot of bikes these days so BMW are not out of step with other manufacturers. As far as the brakes go, I can understand where you are coming from as the G310R brakes are not great when new but they do bed in after a few hundred miles and are OK. If you are like me, it doesn't help having small hands as it takes more effort to use the front brake as it is a bit of a stretch to the levers.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 AM

I've just completed 1200km on mine (just got back from having the initial service done). When it was new the brakes did not feel as sharp as I was used to on my Dakar, but after bedding in I haven't had cause to fault them. I've been on a 220km ride through the Bloukrans and Grootrivier passes (both directions) near where I live in Knysna, South Africa, where one needs the assurance of braking power, and it was not found to be wanting! Last weekend I did a 2 day 530km ride to Prince Albert via Robinson Pass and Meiringspoort on the way there, and Meiringspoort and Outeniqua pass home. Lots of twisties and good braking required.

I really can't fault this bike. Cruises at 120km/h without effort. I had 7kgs in an Oxford tail bag on the back seat, and lightweight stuff in the top box. Fuel consumption overall was 3,3 litres/100 km (30km / litre). Amazingly wind 'resistant'. The wind seems to blow right through the bike!

Also never had a problem filling up, which I've done 5 times now! My previous 2013 CRF250L also had those bars in the tank and never caused any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-12-30 07.24.11.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	3698  
nodsman, GirlPower and SCG310R like this.

Last edited by trevgrif; 01-04-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page