11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karamouzza View Post
Hallo to everyone!
I 'm the owner of a G310R of 2018 (December) and i 'm having a problem with the shifter.
I don't know if this is normal that's why I 'm asking for your opinion.
When i shift gears from 2nd to 3rd the lever is harder than any other shift. This phenomenon is more intense when the engine speed is low (about 2500 to 4000 rpm). If i hold the gear for more time (about 5000 to 6000rpm) the shifter changes very sweet without any resistance. Same thing happens with the change from 3nd to 4rd but not so intense.
When i downshift there is no problem in any gear.
I recently visited the BMW dealer for the first check of 1.000KM and i tried to describe the problem.
They claimed that there is nothing wrong and the shifter changes normal.
Please tell me if you are facing the same and if it's normal or not.

Thank very much for your time.
Is the gearbox under load when you try to shift, this might make it harder to shift. Do you know how to shift without using your clutch? When accelerating, do you let off the accelerator and shift up just before engine braking kicks in?

Did you manage to take another G310R for a ride to see if the gearbox is different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porth View Post
Is the gearbox under load when you try to shift, this might make it harder to shift. Do you know how to shift without using your clutch? When accelerating, do you let off the accelerator and shift up just before engine braking kicks in?

Did you manage to take another G310R for a ride to see if the gearbox is different?
Yes, the gearbox is under load when i try to shift, because if it isn't and the rpm drop under 3000 it's much harder.

No i don't know how to shift without the cluntch and i would try to avoid it.

I 've tried to change gears with multiple ways (let or not the accelerator,with an extra acceleration when holding the clutch, or leaving the rpm drop at 1.000). The story is always the same, the most smooth shift is when the motor is about 5.000-6.000rpm.

When i went to buy my bmw, i made a test ride with another bike but i don't remember if the gearbox had the same issue. Know, i asked for another ride but there wasn't any available.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
This is abnormal, I would insist BMW fix it. All gear changes between 1 and 6 should be the same, and easy/smooth.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:31 AM

I have the a similar problem. If I place the bike in neutral at a light, I have a very difficult time getting it back into 1st gear. I checked the chain tension, gear peg position, even got different riding boots but the issue is still there. I have had a number of other bikes from cheap Asian on up and never experienced being honked at by cars when the light changes. I think there is a design flaw in some of the transmissions in these bikes. I plan to take it to the dealer soon. I have 5500 miles so I know it is not a break in issue.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Grove View Post
I have the a similar problem. If I place the bike in neutral at a light, I have a very difficult time getting it back into 1st gear. I checked the chain tension, gear peg position, even got different riding boots but the issue is still there. I have had a number of other bikes from cheap Asian on up and never experienced being honked at by cars when the light changes. I think there is a design flaw in some of the transmissions in these bikes. I plan to take it to the dealer soon. I have 5500 miles so I know it is not a break in issue.
I never put the bike in neutral at the lights, I always have it in first (and sometimes even second) so that I can take off in a moments notice in case somebody comes up behind me a bit too quickly. The only time you need to put it in neutral is when you want to put the side stand down and don't want the engine to turn off, or when you need the use of both hands at standstill.

If you experience difficulty getting into first gear, keep pressure on the gear peg and slightly roll the bike forward or backwards, it should slip into first very easily. The problem is due to the gears not meshing at standstill, this is normally not a problem when moving, slight movement will cause the gears to mesh (there's no design flaw in the transmission that is causing this).

If you take it to the dealer with this 'problem' they will probably laugh at you or at least behind your back (don't worry though, something worse has happened to me, I told them that the loaner bike wouldn't start, they had a look at it and it turned out that someone had used the emergency switch to turn off the bike).

Last edited by porth; 07-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 AM

You can also pop the clutch out and back in again if you get stuck not being able to select first.

I have to do this from time to time also, super fast and easy - I find it easier than moving the bike.

Old school double clutching...
Bas310 likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
When I first had the bike, changing gears from 1st to second or vice verse and or find neutral was terrible.
Also the others gears werenít easy to find.
My problem was riding big boxers before. The didnít need high revs by changing gears.
This 310 needs more revs to change gears more easily and it takes some time to get the gearbox smoother. In my case it is much better now and I put on appr. 7500 kmís.
Most of the time I use the clutch but Iím able to change gears without the clutch, especially when I am going up fast through the gears. It is even possible to downshift without the clutch. You need some practice and develope a good feeling with your bike. Training training training 😇.
I know (now) when bmw presented the 310 some bikes that where test ridden by the press had problems with shifting gears. Some bikes didnít. Question is if bmw had listened to the press riders ..........
At this moment iím Quite happy about how the bike handles and shifts. Give it some time, try to feel the bike (what it likes) and Ďlistení. If, just before the warranty is over, you are not happy, bring it back !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page