Bike doesn't start at all - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Bike doesn't start at all

Hi!

I have my 2017 G310R with 2500km and two day ago It didn't want to start right away but after 2 attempts it did, and ok the rest of the day.

Yesterday it started 1 of 10 attempts,

Today the bike doesn't start at all.

I've checked:
-The 3 relays in the back seem to be ok, I've test them apart
-All the fuses are ok
-The main relay in the front-right is also ok
-The battery has 12.35v
-The emergency buttom seems to be ok, I've opened it.

What I've done to the bike before the problem:
-1 month ago I made an shop install HID lights (Those that come with a little fan) instead of the road light that comes with the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 AM

Hi there

Some people in cold climates with 310's are experiencing cold start issues, and if this is when your bike isn't starting, then you could well be another owner unlucky to have the problem.

Read through this thread https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/337-...art-issue.html

Elsewhere on the forum (if you read around) you will find that low octane rated fuel can also cause starting problems, people have shifted from 91 to 95 or 98 RON and found the problem goes away.

Presumably the battery voltage you've measured is with the bike not running - 12.35 V seems a little low to me for a relatively new battery. Try getting a measurement of the battery voltage when you are cranking the engine - see what it drops down to, if less than 10 volts it may well be contributing to your problem.

Obviously though, assuming you bought this from a dealer, you should go back to them.
Ligkonakos likes this.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Garage
Iíve used 98 for 99% of my time with this bike with the exception of one tank full which was 95 rating which is still in the bike. Since putting the 95 in itís a bugger to start.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 PM

For the 15 cents a litre difference in price from regular to premium grade fuel, the dollar and and a half a tank full is well worth it.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention

Last edited by Tickster; 03-24-2018 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
As long as you're using fuel that is at the recommended octane rating, you get absolutely NO benefit from using a higher octane fuel - no better fuel economy, no more power - NADA. You're just spending more money than you have to. Sometimes it may even be detrimental.

It almost sounds like you got a tank of bad fuel - it does happen. I had a friend get some fuel that had water in it and he had basically the same experience. He drained the fuel from the tank, refilled with fresh fuel and all was good.

Regarding the battery voltage, lead/acid and AGM batteries should read 12.1 volts/cell at a full charge - or 12.6 volts with no load (key off). You should read a bit more than 14 volts across the battery with the engine running and being charged by the alternator.

I went down to check the voltages on mine, but it also didn't want to start. It's in an unheated garage and the temps have been between -5 & 5 C. Guess I'll go and read the cold start thread. :-(
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I've measure the battery when the engine is off. I've read the cold start issue topic but my problem is not that the engine starts with difficulty. My problem is that nothing moves, not the relays, not the start engine, nothing :S

I've called a mechanic friend in the dealer of BMW MOTORRAD and said they've had a similar problem and it requires a reset of the CDI (Computer). And this can only be made with the BMW ISTA SOFTWARE.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHEUM17 View Post
My problem is that nothing moves, not the relays, not the start engine, nothing...
Ah! I understand.

In one way this is good - as it is easy to diagnose and fix. The real problems are the intermittent ones that come and go and never seem to happen when a mechanic is watching.

Please let us know what happens.
Ligkonakos likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I've measure the battery when the engine is off. I've read the cold start issue topic but my problem is not that the engine starts with difficulty. My problem is that nothing moves, not the relays, not the start engine, nothing :S

I've called a mechanic friend in the dealer of BMW MOTORRAD and said they've had a similar problem and it requires a reset of the CDI (Computer). And this can only be made with the BMW ISTA SOFTWARE.
That's unfortunate, but.... call the dealer and tell them to come pick up the motorcycle.
That's what roadside assistance and warranty are for.
angiedave likes this.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I assume you're in neutral while trying to start it ?
If you're in a gear, remember you need to pull the clutch lever and you can't have the side stand extended in that case.
Not saying you don't know the basic stuff, but sometimes worth to make sure it's not a simple thing like this!
Good luck.

'18 G310R
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:41 AM

Location: Escondido, Caifornia ( 36 Miles north of San Diego )
I have another possibly overlooked reason. And I am sorry if it is painfully obvious but did the KILL Switch accidentally get switched to OFF. I pushed mine one evening while cleaning and next morning spent five minutes trying to start the bike. Then I felt real dumb when I saw that switch in the kill position.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page