Loss of power at high speed. - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Loss of power at high speed.

Hi

Ive done aprox 2500 km and i bought the bike new november 2017. In North England, UK. I passed my test a week before purchasing with BMW rookie to rider scheme.

Its the 3 rd time this issue has happend in the last few months. Im in around 6-7000 rpm in 6th gear approaching 65mph. The bike begins to slow down quite dramatically. I drop to 5th looking for power and then 4th and sometimes i have to stop alltogether or only find power again down in 3rd.

Quite scary for a new rider. BMW blamed me the first time as they said it was the oxford muffs i had used to keep the wind of during the winter. They said at high speed they were pushing against the clutch/brakes. But the last time it happend they had been removed. No fault is being read in the dealers diagnostics and they are struggling to recreate the fault. Anyone had any similar issues/ or ideas on whats going wrong?

Ps. In the first week it stopped starting due to the fuel pump/pipe failing. Straigt after the 1st service the releay between the batterey fused/welded the contact points together forcing the starter motor to continusly try to start the engine until the batterey had completley drained without a key in the ignition!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
That sounds horrible, I wish I had some advice but I can only say I ride at or exceeding 65 mph all the time and that's never happened to me. She'll keep climbing (albeit slowly) in 6th through about 9,500rpm where you'll be going close to 85. Definitely sounds like a one off issue, I hope you don't have a defective bike. Rest assured if you do BMW will replace it, it's happened to others on the forum. Hang in there and keep us updated, make the dealer figure it out.

BMW G 310 R Blue Stratto Metallic
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 PM

From your description, sounds a bit like it could be fuel starvation - particularly seeing as you have had an issue early on with fuel pump / fuel lines. Intermittent faults are always really hard on mechanics / technicians to diagnose.
If it happens again sometime, I would suggest to quickly pull the clutch in and while coasting (freewheeling whatever) see if the engine revs freely or just goes "blaaah" - if it revs freely, it's getting fuel, let the clutch out again and if there's still no power to pull, it's not getting enough fuel for some reason. That kind of info should be helpful to go back to the dealer with.
G0MYW likes this.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Hi

Ive done aprox 2500 km and i bought the bike new november 2017. In North England, UK. I passed my test a week before purchasing with BMW rookie to rider scheme.

Its the 3 rd time this issue has happend in the last few months. Im in around 6-7000 rpm in 6th gear approaching 65mph. The bike begins to slow down quite dramatically. I drop to 5th looking for power and then 4th and sometimes i have to stop alltogether or only find power again down in 3rd.

Quite scary for a new rider. BMW blamed me the first time as they said it was the oxford muffs i had used to keep the wind of during the winter. They said at high speed they were pushing against the clutch/brakes. But the last time it happend they had been removed. No fault is being read in the dealers diagnostics and they are struggling to recreate the fault. Anyone had any similar issues/ or ideas on whats going wrong?

Ps. In the first week it stopped starting due to the fuel pump/pipe failing. Straigt after the 1st service the releay between the batterey fused/welded the contact points together forcing the starter motor to continusly try to start the engine until the batterey had completley drained without a key in the ignition!
First off, I would find a new dealer, blaming your handguards for your issue is ridiculous. Surprised they didn't tell
you to crouch down lower when it happens.
Second, I agree with the fuel starvation, which could be a number of reasons (filter, pump, etc.).
Or.....is your clutch slipping? Just a guess on that.
Maybe it's the ecu having an issue.
Regardless, the dealer should have the bike ASAP to figure it out before it causes a serious issue when in traffic.
Keep us in the loop.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
X3 on the fuel starvation possibility

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:51 PM

I'm another vote for a fuel issue.

As well as pump or filter, it could be a (partially) blocked vent, since it only happens after periods of higher power operation.

Possible but less likely (maybe even remote) : intermittently weak ignition, something loose that can flop around and partially block airflow through the airbox, accidentally dragging on the foot brake.

Getting a touch of water in the gas through a poorly sealed cap *could* explain the symptoms, but usually the engine will outright die, and you wouldn't see it only at high speed, unless he happens to start up and get out on the open road pretty well right after the rain several times.

Clutch slipping would be punctuated by high revs, which he didn't report, so that seems to be ruled out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have noticed a slight loss in power, but ONLY when the engine was still cold and I was accelerating up the road in second gear in the higher revs, this disappears after about 300-400 meters or if the engine has been idling for some time. Don't know if this helps your situation but I though that I would let you know.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all replies.

The bike went in on saturday, i got it back tuesday eve and BMW STILL could not find the fault. They drove it harder than i ever had (up to 90mph) and a technician took it home to do some longer tests and found nothing wong...

If/when it happens again i will have to take it back to the dealer... again! The head honcho on the service dept was very kind to me and wished he found a fault and seemed genuine, but it seems the saga continues on the g310.

I think it could be a cold morning issue. I keep the bike outside and i only get to the faster road in about less than a mile of setting off on my daily commute.

Ive been in touch with the head office on and off during all these faults and they said "if the issue has not been resolved" then "heres the link for the escalation/ complaints" route.

I might see now if i can get a cheap head camera so i can catch the issue happenning.

Only 18 more months till i can get out of this hire deal Woop Woop!...😉

Thanks again for all the support!

Viv

2018 BMW G310R
2009 BMW R1200RT
2009 Vespa GTS250ie
1989 Schwinn LeTour
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Keep an eye on the engine temp when it happens, you might just need to warm up the engine a bit more before reaching those higher revs.

Is the engine running rich at lower temperatures? could this be causing a problem at higher revs? might be worthwhile asking the dealer this next time you talk to them.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Should have mentioned that the answer to my questions is probably yes.

Running rich at high RPM will cause power loss.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page