Bike completely dead, no clue what's wrong - Page 7 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
On one of my bikes, a Husaberg 550, I noticed that starting improved significantly when I fitted a new battery. The engine would just 'catch' almost immediately compared to before, when it would take much longer cranking, even when the old battery was still ok-ish.
So the voltage of the battery influences the ease of starting (stronger spark). This could explain on bikes with weak, sub-standard performing stators why cold starting can be problematic: weaker battery voltage, coupled with less 'help' from the stator's current when starting up from cold.
I suppose the way to test is by checking the output of the stator/measuring the voltage on the battery with engine running. If you have difficult cold starting, maybe have the stator checked at the dealer before the bike leaves you stranded. And, all of us, carry an emergency lithium battery?
no one of a sane mind is carrying emergency lithium or any battery as a matter of fact . to check if your battery is charging, you need to use 'voltomiter'. when you pull the throttle, the V should be above 14 or else it is not charging properly.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Thanks Kris. I am aware of how one checks charging voltage and I am of sane mind.
The issue here seems to be that the system goes dead without warning. If you are far away from civilization, or just get stranded on the side of the highway, having emergency power in the form of a very lightweight backup battery indeed makes good sense to me. I'm sure that many do carry such things when they go on long trips or excursions into the rough.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Thanks Kris. I am aware of how one checks charging voltage and I am of sane mind.
The issue here seems to be that the system goes dead without warning. If you are far away from civilization, or just get stranded on the side of the highway, having emergency power in the form of a very lightweight backup battery indeed makes good sense to me. I'm sure that many do carry such things when they go on long trips or excursions into the rough.
@CeesKlumper I agree with you. With myself victim of a dead battery once and starter motor, I now carry a jumpstart kit with me to get myself out of such situations on a ride. The issue is battery goes dead without any warning and one of the ways to safeguard against it to have a jumpstarter kit. I am using Hummer H8 jumpstarter kit. Quite compact and reliable.
Cees Klumper likes this.

Take care and ride safe

Rajesh
G310GS
post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 AM

A jumpstart kit will only jumpstart the engine. ie. Crank it over and maybe fire the spark plugs a few times.
The stator continually charges the battery, which in turn powers the coils that convert the DC current to AC to fire the plugs. If you have a dead stator, and a dead battery, your bike will just stall. If it is simply your battery going flat, then yeah a push start or a jumper kit can get it running again.
But you are all out of luck if the stator goes.
If your stator is dead but your battery is ok, it wont take long before the battery gets drained without the stator causing the engine to stall.

Stator charges battery, battery powers coils, coils transforms DC to AC and ignites spark plugs which combusts air fuel mix.

If your battery is dead, and once you disconnect the jump starter, the p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Kavthekar View Post
@CeesKlumper I agree with you. With myself victim of a dead battery once and starter motor, I now carry a jumpstart kit with me to get myself out of such situations on a ride. The issue is battery goes dead without any warning and one of the ways to safeguard against it to have a jumpstarter kit. I am using Hummer H8 jumpstarter kit. Quite compact and reliable.
HPP8140 likes this.
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I suppose the question is how long will a spare battery power the ignition without being recharged. I once drove 500 miles on just the battery once the alternator stopped working, in a car.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page