Anyone experienced broken kickstands? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone experienced broken kickstands?

Hey all, was just sent this by a Chinese friend of mine. It's in Chinese, but the translation comes across well enough. Apparently, in China, they have been experiencing many broken kickstands on both the G310R and G310GS models. Just wondering if anyone else has heard about this and what BMW plans on doing in your country.

https://m.sohu.com/a/232310970_68649...rategyid=00014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:42 PM

Hopefully, this is not an issue of people sitting on the bike, whilst on the side stand. That is never recommended, it is only to support the bike's weight. Another reason to get a center stand or paddock rear stand.
angiedave likes this.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 AM

Garage
I certainly hope not, as I need to mount by standing on the peg to swing my leg over. Combination of short legs and loss of flexibility as I get older. Have been doing this for the better part of 30 years with no issues. Yet.

2018 BMW G310GS
2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer
1986 Yamaha SRX-6
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 AM

I have trouble getting my leg over but to step on the peg to get on is far to much pressure on the prop stand, getting leg over while on prop I find the best way as it kinda lowers the bike a couple of inches.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 AM

I cant see the bikes weight alone would snap the prop stand ?????
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Looks like too much load going on to the stand to me to shear the mounting lug. As has been said above, the stand is really only supposed to support the bike - also the further the angle of lean on the bike - ie if the ground is sloping down on the bike's left side, the more load goes on the stand.

Personally, I worry about things like the Tirox Snapjack as they force extra load on the side stand, so I'd never use one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I certainly hope not, as I need to mount by standing on the peg to swing my leg over. Combination of short legs and loss of flexibility as I get older. Have been doing this for the better part of 30 years with no issues. Yet.
I know the problem...
I'm not tall either, and have an issue with my left hip that prevents full movement... there is no way I can swing my right leg fully over the and round the back of the seat these days to get on, but I have found that adopting a different technique works for me. With the bike on the side stand, if I bend my right knee up, I can actually pivot over the riders part of the seat, which is lower. It's kind of the way I dismount, but in reverse... (When I had the 2016 Yamaha MT03, I was always confused that I could get off it easier than on it, took my wife to point out that I did it differently... doh!)

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiedave View Post
I have trouble getting my leg over but to step on the peg to get on is far to much pressure on the prop stand, getting leg over while on prop I find the best way as it kinda lowers the bike a couple of inches.
Honestly, I'm a tall guy (6'2") and have no problem with flexibility at 24 (for now). I get on my Versys 650 LT like this every time. It's possible to do this by swinging my leg over, but the back seat is so tall and the saddle bags are wide enough that it's quite difficult. I honestly don't even think it's possible to hop aboard a full-size adventure bike with large saddlebags...like a BMW R1200GS without using this technique.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Supposedly some riders were talking about a recall in China?? Don't know, but figured I'd make a mention of it here just in case this probably starts cropping in different parts of the world.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 AM

Ive read on a thai FB forum that there has been some side stands breaking in Thailand market. My dealer in malaysia also confirmed that some stands seem to break when excess weight is put on them when the bike is moved (kind of shuffled) by using the stand as leverage/pivot point. (this may actually be the reason why they are breaking). Anyway i put a center stand on mine, so not too worried about the side stand issue (if it exists).
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM

At 5 ft. 8 in. and 28 in. and stiff at 71 years of age, I can just barely "straddle the saddle" on the "R". The GS is out of the question for me. I cannot straddle the GS but I think that I could safely step on the left foot peg and straddle if I could get the GS more upright on the side stand by finding a position where either one or both of the wheels was in a depression or if I could find a raised point to rest the side stand on.

Last edited by WillyR50S; 05-27-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page