official canada recall - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

official canada recall

only 343 unit affect:
from Transport Canada Recall # 2018331=

On certain motorcycles, the side stand connector and/or frame could break. If this occurs while the motorcycle is in motion, it could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. If the side stand breaks while the motorcycle is stationary, it could fall over, increasing the risk of injury to bystanders. Correction: Dealers will inspect the side stand connector and frame for any damage. If no damage is found, the motorcycle will be equipped with a reinforcing plate and a new side stand connector. If damage is found, a redesigned frame including the reinforced side stand connector will be installed.
i'm lucky mine its not in the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Sounds legit but doesn't show up in a search of Transport Canada. Do you have a link for the list?
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 PM

It is official and on the Transport Canada website. There's actually 2 recalls.

The other is regarding rear lights and reflectors not meeting requirements. Transport Canada Recall # 2017329 (only 26 units affected):
  • Certain motorcycles may not comply with the requirements of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CVMSS) 108 - Lighting System and Retroreflective Devices. The rear lighting and reflectors may not meet the requirements of the standard, which could reduce vehicle conspicuity to following road users, increasing the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will replace the rear lighting unit and reflectors with ones that meet the requirements of the standard.

You can also click on a link there that takes you to the BMW website so that you may check your VIN to see if you are affected.

I'd post links but don't have enough posts to do so but if you just go to the Transport Canada website and search for recalls, you'll be able to find the vehicle search page.
heap likes this.

Last edited by sunster; 06-25-2018 at 08:14 PM.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:33 PM

Official Transport Canada link, covering both G310R and G310GS models: Recall Details
sunster likes this.

'18 G310R
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 PM

Checked and no recall on mine.
Purchased Oct 2017
One of the first in Canada.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the link. I just checked, and mine isn't affected either. I'll still keep my eye on the stand welds, though.

Some of the points make me wonder:

• how many units have actually been sold in Canada, and what portion of that total number are the 343?
  • why are only some units affected? Shouldn't the construction of the bikes be pretty much identical so far in the short run of things?
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:03 PM

My 310R was delivered to me mid-june 2017 and it does not come up in the database as well, surprisingly.

'18 G310R
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Mine is not listed either, makes me wonder what bikes are covered. Mine was delivered Apr 2018.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:40 PM

I'm also free !

Since the topics appeared I have suspected a metallurgy problem, such as heat treating post welding or something related such as a new, less well trained or less experienced welder.

The oldest machines should be of a better quality or quality control.
With all the german workers hovering over the indian workers, TVM would have placed their best on the early production line. And problems would creep up later in the process.
Also not all machines would be affected since they would be related to certain individuals on the line. Products made by humans, for humans = imperfections, i.e. normality.
Been there, got a T-shirt, Col. Murphy is my leader, etc, etc.

Anyhow, if at all possible, I'm going to try to have that reinforcing plate added to mine, just in case !
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 PM

If the online VIN decoder tools are to be believed, mine was born in mid-march of 2018. I don't know what it means, in the end, because mine's a pretty recent bike, and is not affected by the recall.
I'm also in MTL, so we might well have bought from the same dealer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbelanger View Post
I'm also free !

Since the topics appeared I have suspected a metallurgy problem, such as heat treating post welding or something related such as a new, less well trained or less experienced welder.

The oldest machines should be of a better quality or quality control.
With all the german workers hovering over the indian workers, TVM would have placed their best on the early production line. And problems would creep up later in the process.
Also not all machines would be affected since they would be related to certain individuals on the line. Products made by humans, for humans = imperfections, i.e. normality.
Been there, got a T-shirt, Col. Murphy is my leader, etc, etc.

Anyhow, if at all possible, I'm going to try to have that reinforcing plate added to mine, just in case !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page