Gear indicator potentiometer trouble - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Gear indicator potentiometer trouble

There's already a thread on transmission sticking in N or '--' but this one is about the gear indicator on the dashboard no longer working properly or at all. In that other thread there are several owners who report that they had to have their potentiometers replaced after the gear indicator on the dashboard would no longer report the correct, or any, gear. The potentiometer bolts onto the left side of the engine and is easy to replace, and costs $76 plus sales tax at your dealer.

Here's what happened to me yesterday. After having made a rocky start (didn't realize I had the bike in 1st when I went to start it without pulling the clutch in. It started, lurched forward with me on it, for about a half a foot, then stalled). Shortly after that minor incident the gear indicator started misreporting. Nothing over 3rd, sometimes just showing '--'. I turned the bike off and back on, hoping the re-set would fix things, but no. So then this morning I decided to pull the potentiometer and see what's what. First though, I decided just to try it again, and move the box through its gears with the engine off. The gear indicator worked fine again! I removed the potentiometer nonetheless, and manually moved its pin, that slots into a hole inside the gearbox, and it did work just fine on the dash. Put it all back together and went for a test ride. Well that turned into a 60 mile up and down the Pacific Coast Highway ride, from Santa Monica to north of Malibu, between 8 and 10 AM. Tons of bikes on the road, gorgeous weather. The gear indicator never missed a beat. So it seems that (1) the malfunction was caused by the jerky starting, throwing the software out of calibration, and (2) parking the bike overnight re-set things. Just turning on and off briefly did not. Finally (3), if it breaks convincingly I shall replace it myself, rather than going through the hassle of bringing the bike to the dealer (about a half hour drive each way in no-fun LA traffic), renting a replacement for the day, hoping they will fix it under warranty, have the part quickly, etc. Just not worth all the trouble for $76.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM

You know, a call to the service manager, and explain the situation, they "might" reimburse you for the part.
Can't hurt to ask.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
That's true Tickster. If it comes to pass I will give them a call, and they just might be understanding. At the least they should hear about problems people are having with their bikes. If I were working for BMW in Bayern I'd certainly monitor forums like these, they most likely do.
BMW have had my C650 in for a week now, to fix a rattle on cold engine startup. So far not a word, they did tell me BMW Germany always takes so long to get back to them. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a month.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 AM

I have same issue, kinda frustration considering that the bike is just a month old and I have only ridden it for less than 2K km. I had reported this to the supplier and they promise to replace the defective part. @cess has you're issue been fix?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:43 AM

Like the bit about `gorgeous weather`Cees, send a bit to UK please.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, my problem has never come back since my original post.
I'm currently in Split, Croatia where they are going thru a small cold/wet spell, but I will see what I can do when back in LA!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page