Buzzing noise at specific RPM - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Buzzing noise at specific RPM

Starting to notice a weird noise coming from the bike (2018 G310R).

Whenever I'm between roughly 6200-6800 RPM, I notice a buzzing sound - it's definitely audible even over the sound of the engine. Below 6000, all good. Above 7000, sounds good too, though it's loud enough it might just be inaudible. I've looked around and can't see anything loose, and I figure if something was loose, I'd hear it rattling all the time. It's getting pretty annoying now, and I'm wondering if I'm just a few buzzes away from having the bike fall apart in motion and dump me on the road.

As far as I can tell it's coming from up front, near the instrument cluster, but everything seems to be held tight. The only modification I have up front is a Puig naked bike windscreen and Barkbusters handguards, but I know I torqued those correctly per the instructions, and the buzzing was happening before I installed the handguards too.

Insights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 AM

Have a tap around the side mirrors, there is a thread where I have a video of the my wing mirror and the rattle in it on here in one of the posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
I had experienced something similar and solved it. Under 4k RPM and over 7k RPM there was an annoying vibration coming from the instrument cluster. I got it to the dealer he unscrewed the whole mask and put it back together, didn't solve it. Afterwards he put the stethoscope and it was from some loose cables on the right side of the instrument cluster. Apparently the zip ties were loose and they were rattling on the plastic. Was driving me insane.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I tried the mirror thing, so far nothing. Revved the bike in neutral too. Couldn't find anything, as far as I can tell, it's coming from within the instrument cluster itself.

I'm bringing it into the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll find it...and maybe I'll test ride an R1200GS, because I'm already looking into getting a second bike to either replace or likely just supplement the G310R.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
I tried the mirror thing, so far nothing. Revved the bike in neutral too. Couldn't find anything, as far as I can tell, it's coming from within the instrument cluster itself.

I'm bringing it into the dealer on Tuesday. Hopefully they'll find it...and maybe I'll test ride an R1200GS, because I'm already looking into getting a second bike to either replace or likely just supplement the G310R.
Was your issue solved?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 PM

I had a rattle noise from my bike around 7000 rpm and found that it was the clutch lever. If i put my fingers on the clutch around 7000 rpm it stopped. Sorry to say, its a cheap clutch lever that will probable get sorted out on newer bikes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeeper1968 View Post
I had a rattle noise from my bike around 7000 rpm and found that it was the clutch lever. If i put my fingers on the clutch around 7000 rpm it stopped. Sorry to say, its a cheap clutch lever that will probable get sorted out on newer bikes.
You could possibly try adjusting the free play on your lever - if it is more than it should be, the lever can rattle about more. Also a little bit of grease around the pivot can help prevent the rattling by taking up some of the space between the parts.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page