When Life Deals You Lemons - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

When Life Deals You Lemons

It feels like forever since I last posted, and just as long since I last saw my bike.

After owning it for three weeks, and with only a bit over 300 miles on the clock, mine, like many others, started dipping from the drain hose. So I took it in... a month ago.

After replacing the water pump and seal, the dealer noticed another strange noise coming from somewhere in the engine. They couldn’t pinpoint it, so they started working with BMW to figure it out. Currently they think it may be a bad exhaust valve, though even that’s not clear at this point. And of course, no parts in stock so we wait for them to come from Germany (strange since they’re made in India).

Anyway, this is absolutely nuts at this point. A three week old bike that’s already been in service for a month!

I barely remember what it looks like.

Originally I was planning to buy a Honda CRF 250 Rally. Hindsight is a bitch.
Serrated likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Hang in there, it's worth the wait. Sorry about your troubles, that's not supposed to happen, I hope they figure it out soon.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:19 AM

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. I will assume your bike is a GS not an R?. The reason i mention it is because if you have the R model like me, then i can tell you you made the right choice over the Honda, because i had a 2016 CRF250L ( I know its not the rally model) and its a good bike, but totally different to the BMWG310R .If on the other hand you have a GS model then only other owners can comment. I will say this though, At least the dealer,'spotted' the engine problem, they could have kept quiet about it, The other thing is,I would contact BMW and complain,either you get a full replacement bike,or a temporary replacement until the work is carried out, Or a full refund. It's time to make waves I'm afraid.
angiedave likes this.

2017 BMW G310R
2019 Suzuki DL Vstrom 650
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelsGood View Post

I have a Honda CRF250L and it spent almost two months in the shop with its engine stripped down to the last screw for a oil leak from the seam at the front of the case.
a disturbing amount of them have sprung that same leak.
so you could have just been in the same basket as the CRF is also prone to springing a coolant leak from the water pump seal.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I will assume your bike is a GS not an R?.

It's time to make waves I'm afraid.
Mine is a GS. Same category as the Rally for the most part. GS leans toward the road whereas the Rally leans toward the dirt.

Sadly it is time to make waves. I would be more understanding, but the biggest holdup is that BMW chooses not to stock parts in the US, so literally every time they get an idea to try something else, it’s another 2 weeks+ to get parts from Germany. Can you imagine if this was your car, and the dealer took a month to fix a three-week old car? It would never happen. Well, then again I’ve never needed major engine work done on a three week old car.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Frenzy View Post
Quote:

I have a Honda CRF250L and it spent almost two months in the shop with its engine stripped down to the last screw for a oil leak from the seam at the front of the case.
a disturbing amount of them have sprung that same leak.
so you could have just been in the same basket as the CRF is also prone to springing a coolant leak from the water pump seal.
Certainly any bike can have a failure, but I’ll bet statistically the Honda is more reliable. The CRF engine has been around with only minor changes for years.

Last time when I called the dealer they mistakenly told me it was done because they confused it with another 310 that was in with a bad water pump/seal. For sure the water pump/seal issue is far too common.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Mine is a GS. Same category as the Rally for the most part. GS leans toward the road whereas the Rally leans toward the dirt.

Sadly it is time to make waves. I would be more understanding, but the biggest holdup is that BMW chooses not to stock parts in the US, so literally every time they get an idea to try something else, itís another 2 weeks+ to get parts from Germany. Can you imagine if this was your car, and the dealer took a month to fix a three-week old car? It would never happen. Well, then again Iíve never needed major engine work done on a three week old car.
Depending on the parts for cars it can be that long or longer... Had 2 gearboxes replaced in my parents 6-month-old Audi each time it was a 6-week wait. Audi was nice tho, and gave us a loaner car for the time period.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post

Depending on the parts for cars it can be that long or longer... Had 2 gearboxes replaced in my parents 6-month-old Audi each time it was a 6-week wait. Audi was nice tho, and gave us a loaner car for the time period.
Why would anyone tolerate that? I mean, even if you don’t care that your car (or bike) is out of service for a month and a half, how could you have any confidence in it long term? Two gearboxes in six months? That’s what lemon laws are for.

I’ve owned a lot of bikes (and cars) over the years, and I’ve had some hit very high mileage with no serious issues. Losing a water pump and an exhaust valve in the first three weeks hardly inspires confidence for the future.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 AM

No Bike

I have the GS model and the alternator /stator died on me on my way to work on 9/4/18 and that was the last time I saw my bike. There is no estimate when the part is coming in, but they are saying by the end of November. As much as I like the bike, i'm going to create waves myself. I going to ask for a full refund. The new 750GS models are hitting the US now, and maybe, just maybe if something happens to that one, they would be able to get parts faster. I honestly think there is some disconnect between the India plant and Germany. I was last told that Germany does not even have the parts to repair my bike. As far as I know Fed-ex is still capable of shipping parts around the world in a couple of days, so I really don't get it. That should have been in the fine print. We will sell you a motorcycle made in India, but hope nothing happens to it, because we can't get the parts to fix it. I don't mean to rant but I see the beautiful fall foliage were I live and can't go for a ride on the bike I'm paying for but don't have.

2WheelsGood I hope you get your bike back soon, or create waves! I feel your pain!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeeper1968 View Post
As far as I know Fed-ex is still capable of shipping parts around the world in a couple of days, so I really don't get it.
Exactly. This is why I have no sympathy for BMW. If a stator exists somewhere in the world, it could be shipped in days. If this is too expensive, stock parts in the countries you sell bikes. If the parts donít exist, how is the line in India running? Pull one off the line and ship it. Itís that easy. So the real problem to me is that BMW doesnít give a crap about you once you have your bike.

Whatís even more surprising is that here in the States at least, lemon laws in most states kick in after 30 days in the shop. Which means BMW thinks nobody will go that route. In other words, even if BMW doesnít care about customers, they should certainly care about that. Buying back bikes and paying lawyers (for both sides) is expensive. Yep, I donít get it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page