Speedo/Instrument Cluster - Help/Advice Needed - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Speedo/Instrument Cluster - Help/Advice Needed

Just before sending my G310R to the dealership for its running in service I noticed some water inside the instrument cluster. The bike has only done 500 miles, never been ridden in the wet and I have not hosed it down.

I briefed the dealership on this and they have told me BMW have agreed to replace the unit with a new one.

I am not happy in the slightest about having a new unit that always under-reads the correct mileage by 500. It will be annoying for me to constantly have to add 500 miles every time I approach service, and it may put off prospective buyers when I eventually come to sell. The dealership tells me it is fine and they will just put a note in the service book. Of course they think it will be OK but I am also worried about the residual value being affected.

While the dealership await the new component arriving, the service manager tells me it may be that the mileage carries over from the bike's integral computer.

If it doesn't, am I within my rights to demand a new bike or significant money back? Clearly a UK loaded question. Anyone else know if the mileage will go straight to the new unit? Grateful for help/advice as I have only had the bike a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:22 PM

This happened to my instrument display too - see this thread here https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/169...n-display.html

There was no issue in BMW agreeing to replace the unit, mine had done over 10,000 km - I had seen small amounts of condensation appear and disappear at times but the "tide marks" that were being left weren't acceptable any more. New unit was ordered, took about 6 weeks (I think) to arrive.

I don't believe there were any issues in fitting it, can't tell you more as I traded the bike in before the unit was replaced.

I traded up to a Triumph Street Twin (back to my roots). The dealer I went to for the Triumph was not the one I bought the BMW from, but they were also BMW agents (Moto Guzzi and Royal Enfield too) - I told them the instrument unit was being replaced under warranty organised at the other dealers, and they just simply said they'd get in touch with BMW and divert the new unit to them instead. I was able to squeeze a good deal on the trade.

"If you think stuff is simple, you really don't understand it..." Albert Einstein
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Speedo/Instrument Cluster

Just been told by dealer they have fixed the issue and the milage has transferred to the new unit. Can't wait to get the bike back.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page