Alternator issues - Page 4 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:01 AM

Finally got the bike back today. Five weeks of parts ordering, arriving and fitting.

They have replaced stator windings, rectifier/regulator and battery with new parts under warranty.

Now the battery reads:

12.8v with everything off
12.6v with ignition key on
14.4v with bike idling
14.7v with bike at 4500rpm

This is so much more normal behaviour of the charging system and battery.

While the bike was in shop, they have done the side stand recall as well. Great.
W8NONU likes this.

2018 G310GS - white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old Today, 01:00 AM

My alternator is being replaced on warranty in Saskatchewan, Canada. Issue started mid-April on my 2018 g310gs. I recharged the battery twice and then it died again within 20-30 kms. If I had been in traffic or driving at speed, it would have been dangerous.

Roadside Assistance warranty is outstanding in North America - 350 km trip each way from my home to the shop. I wish I never needed it, though!

An error made at the shop meant it was ordered after third week. Placed on back order two times. They received it last Friday at start of a long weekend. It is Thursday night a week later and still no news to confirm if it is done. Eight weeks in the shop so far. I have missed many riding opportunities and one planned trip.

Side-stand recall being done as well as cush drive replacement (5000 km). They did not mention a battery replacement. I asked about a goodwill gesture of compensation for time lost, but BMW Canada has not given it any consideration.

My first bike is my last BMW, for sure. I don't expect that a brand new model will be free of issues, but I don't trust this bike anymore. It was also twice as long as the repair should have taken, given the part itself took four weeks to arrive from BMW. As much as I enjoyed the bike in the past year, this experience has me looking at more bikes and more brands.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page