Alternator issues - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Alternator issues

I am assuming many people have already faced the alternator issue as of now. The g310 bikes were launched in July 2018. So far we have various owners reporting bikes refusing to start or battery light glowing on the console and it has been just 5 months which is too premature for a motorcycle to show such issues.
So we have decided to write to BMW motorrad so that they acknowledge this particular issue and announce a recall for all g310 owners worldwide.
We have complained about this issue to BMW motorrad India but it has taken this issue lightly and we feel they are not escalating to BMW motorrad Germany. So let's try writing emails to BMW motorrad or through social media so that BMW motorrad designs a fix for this issue.
Personally, I have not faced this issue yet but I guess it may happen to any one of us in the future.
Sorry for the long message.
TSGR# likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

The above message is on behalf of all BMW g310 owners in Bangalore, India. We had many reports of the problem and there have been few people who were stranded km the middle of the road as the bike refused to start. So we feel its pretty serious.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM

thanks for the info.
I experienced the alternator isuue on on both my previous BMW the F800S and Xcountry.
Hoped BMW learned the lesson but seems not the case.
I'm ordering a voltmeter to monitor voltage arriving from alternator to the battery, but this does not solve the problem...
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 PM

interesting, it might be related to many cold start issues across the world.
G0MYW likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
I am assuming many people have already faced the alternator issue as of now. The g310 bikes were launched in July 2018. So far we have various owners reporting bikes refusing to start or battery light glowing on the console and it has been just 5 months which is too premature for a motorcycle to show such issues.
So we have decided to write to BMW motorrad so that they acknowledge this particular issue and announce a recall for all g310 owners worldwide.
We have complained about this issue to BMW motorrad India but it has taken this issue lightly and we feel they are not escalating to BMW motorrad Germany. So let's try writing emails to BMW motorrad or through social media so that BMW motorrad designs a fix for this issue.
Personally, I have not faced this issue yet but I guess it may happen to any one of us in the future.
Sorry for the long message.
Can you describe the nature of the alternator issues you have had?

I have had cold start/battery issues and suspected the alternator may have been an issue after the bike failed to stay on after a jump start.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 AM

As far as the dealer would tell me....

The alternator (or more probably generator) developed a fault that caused the battery to die deep discharge. Both were replaced using parts from an unsold bike, after waiting 2 weeks for parts to not arrive.

I had just done an 350 km intercity dash that went very well. Next morning, the state was unresponsive at first, then managed to start the motor.
Ambient Temp was in the the mid 20 degrees C ( around 70 F for you Anglo Americans still using that antique measuring system).

Since I had forgotten to turn the key off after lowering the stand while in gear, I assumed battery was low because of my negligence, and expected the generator would replenish the battery on the reverse trip.

Well, 100 km later, while arriving at a stop sign, the motor just died. I managed to restart once and, maybe 1 km later, it just died again.
After making basic trouble shooting (checking the fuses, and Batt connections, it was clear the batt was dying (....time to call roadside assistance and a tow back.

Funny thing was that on that exact day, on the other side of the continent, member Zente was having the exact same experience in California. With the same resolution, but 2 weeks earlier than me.

That's all I have to say about that (thank you Forrest Gump)

RobertB
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:21 PM

is it the stator failing or the regulator/ rectifier that fails??
the stator would be engine specific, the regulator rectifier failing you could adapt a regulator rectifier from a different make and model bike.
first generation triumph tigers tend to have R&R issues and the popular fix is to use the R&R from a yamaha R1.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM

On my bike only the stator and battery were replaced
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 AM

yes, it is not clear to me if it the stator of the regulator.
On F800 series the stator was an issue (I has it gone on my F800S) BMW had to re-design itbut no recall was issues.

To prevent stator failure the best solution was to substitute the OEM regulator with a Shindengen SH775
Here some explanations regolatore tensione - www.belinassu.it but in italian unfortunately...
Ohterwise look here
https://www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm

On my G650X-country I had the regular fault (and two batteries gone) and by replacing it with a Shindengen SH775, the problem was solved.

I realized that the regulator failure in some cases can be detected by installing a basic voltmeter, a high variability in the V provided from the regulator to the battery is not a good signal.
On the contrary a SH775 regulator will ensure a stable output, but better will prevent burning of stator.

That said I do not know whether an SH775 can be used on G310. Cabling and mounting are not the same, some work is needed.

Last edited by marci; 01-18-2019 at 04:27 AM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM

My G310 R is a 2018 model but I’ve had it since September of 2017. When I first got it it was outside as I was living in an apartment. The temperatures that winter got as low as 24F. I never experienced the cold start issue or any issues with the battery dying. Only thing I’ve had was the gear indicator showing “-“.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page