Brakes making squealing sound 310GS - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Brakes making squealing sound 310GS

I bought 310GS in Jan. Just been 3 months and the rear brake about 3 weeks back is already making a squealing sound when applied. Service center person says its bcoz something must have been caught in the brake pads. He recommends to change the brake pads. It beats me. I mean it's a GS, its suppose to be off-road ready. It's just 900km driven but I have not even taken it once off-road. Recently 2 days back the front brake has started to make similar sound not as much as rear brake. Is anyone else facing the same. Is there a permanent solution to this. Can anyone shed some light on why this maybe happening. Would appreciate to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 AM

it is normal. nothing worry about. it coms from the vibrations in the disc pads. first step is to take the pads and clean them or just spray from outside with disc brake cleaner. second, if it really annoys you, to use special glue that you put on the back of the disc pads. something like that:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8072.../dp/B000HBGH3G

or this: https://www.amazon.com/Liquimoly-202.../dp/B07B58VYN6

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
second, if it really annoys you, to use special glue that you put on the back of the disc pads. something like that
It's not a glue, you can use copper grease - it's cheap and easy to find. Just apply it to the pad of the pad (the side that doesn't touch the disc).

You can get anti-squeal pads which you can cut to shape or you can try and buy some pre cut to the shape of your pad.... Just use copper grease, works just as well and is easier. A lot of new decent pads come with a pad adheard to the back of the pad already.

Also putting a small chamfer on the leading edge of the pad can help if it's not fixable with the copper grease (also called anti-sieze grease)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDVL View Post
It's not a glue, you can use copper grease - it's cheap and easy to find. Just apply it to the pad of the pad (the side that doesn't touch the disc).

You can get anti-squeal pads which you can cut to shape or you can try and buy some pre cut to the shape of your pad.... Just use copper grease, works just as well and is easier. A lot of new decent pads come with a pad adheard to the back of the pad already.

Also putting a small chamfer on the leading edge of the pad can help if it's not fixable with the copper grease (also called anti-sieze grease)
I would not use copper grease, personally. it is an old school, and it works in a very limited way, and there is always a danger that some that grease will migrate into the inner side of the brake pads. don't let any grease, copper or otherwise, come even close to your brake pads. it is playing with fire. sintered pads tend to squick more, especially when cold. it does not bother me. when they are bedded in properly, the squeaking should be minimal, and experienced only in very low speeds.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I would not use copper grease, personally. it is an old school, and it works in a very limited way, and there is always a danger that some that grease will migrate into the inner side of the brake pads. don't let any grease, copper or otherwise, come even close to your brake pads. it is playing with fire. sintered pads tend to squick more, especially when cold. it does not bother me. when they are bedded in properly, the squeaking should be minimal, and experienced only in very low speeds.
Newer polymer compounds are still a goopy substance that you don't want on your pad face to minimise squeal. A person would have to be pretty stupid to apply it to the pad face / brake disc or have it applied in a way that it could transfer to the pad face / brake disc, it would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of having brakes...

Just because its old doesn't mean it doesn't work. Yes, anti-squeal pads are better in terms of longevity i.e. Less susceptible to weather, dirt, oils, etc.. but don't always work as well and most decent pads now come with it already bonded to the back of the pad so you don't need to use a paste (aka a goopy substance you don't want on your pad face) but a lot of pad manufacturers still recommend applying a goopy substance (typically supplied with the new pads, so most of this discussion is a moot point anyways) even with the anti-squeal pads on their brake pads.

I'm familiar with sintered pads/race pads - I run full sintered pads (CL RC6) in my racecar and have very aggressive road pads in my daily driver car (Hawk HPS Plus) - more aggressive pads love to sing you the song of their people... I've been enjoying the newer ceramic infused compounds in the Wife's car, much less dust and noise, but they don't have the same bite as mine.

Edit: just noticed in my post Kris quoted, I typed pad of the pad... It's meant to be back of the pad... But it should be evident that's what I meant.

Last edited by DRTDVL; 03-24-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Newer polymer compounds are still a goopy substance that you don't want on your pad face to minimise squeal. A person would have to be pretty stupid to apply it to the pad face / brake disc or have it applied in a way that it could transfer to the pad face / brake disc, it would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of having brakes...

Just because its old doesn't mean it doesn't work. Yes, anti-squeal pads are better in terms of longevity i.e. Less susceptible to weather, dirt, oils, etc.. but don't always work as well and most decent pads now come with it already bonded to the back of the pad so you don't need to use a paste (aka a goopy substance you don't want on your pad face) but a lot of pad manufacturers still recommend applying a goopy substance (typically supplied with the new pads, so most of this discussion is a moot point anyways) even with the anti-squeal pads on their brake pads.

I'm familiar with sintered pads/race pads - I run full sintered pads (CL RC6) in my racecar and have very aggressive road pads in my daily driver car (Hawk HPS Plus) - more aggressive pads love to sing you the song of their people... I've been enjoying the newer ceramic infused compounds in the Wife's car, much less dust and noise, but they don't have the same bite as mine.

Edit: just noticed in my post Kris quoted, I typed pad of the pad... It's meant to be back of the pad... But it should be evident that's what I meant.
our g310 comes with sintered pads. I am maybe paranoid, but I would not put copper grease near my pads. the pads get very hot, you cannot control some of that grease migrating towards the rotor. anyway, a bit squeaking will not kill anyone, so I just opted for not putting anything to diminish it these days. but I do agree that ceramic pads are superior.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Watch pedestrians scatter-it's better than a horn!
G0MYW likes this.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you brake a little harder the squealing goes away
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:37 PM

I actually use this on brake pads on whatever I take apart to clean. Jeep + mud fun = brakes need proper cleaning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	be37786f-5106-4538-8537-9b4cd7c69b6f_1553474250591.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	12598

2018 G310GS - white
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

our g310 comes with sintered pads. I am maybe paranoid, but I would not put copper grease near my pads. the pads get very hot, you cannot control some of that grease migrating towards the rotor. anyway, a bit squeaking will not kill anyone, so I just opted for not putting anything to diminish it these days. but I do agree that ceramic pads are superior.

I mean it's a new bike. Just 3 months old and it already makes this noise. Is it normal? Should I change the brake pads ?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page