GS310 waterpump and alternator "POOR made" by BMW - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By francoisps
  • 2 Post By Rm78

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

GS310 waterpump and alternator "POOR made" by BMW

Very dissapointed with the very bad bike BMW has made. It caused trauma and stress owning BMW bike:
1. At 800km the waterpump need to be replaced - 2 weeks bikeless
2. At 3300km the alternator need to be replaced - took 4 weeks bikeless
3. Today At 3400km the waterpump AGAIN need to be replaced - still waiting on part just got back from the dealer.
To whoever had replaced their waterpump just becareful and have routine check up underneath for any drip. It looks i have to replace the waterpump every 6 months otherwise SELL THE BIKE WHILE STILL HAS its WARRANTY - what a joke BMW! you've done it again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Very interesting that you've had to replace the water pump twice and an alternator in such a short time. On other forums there are people with 12,000 plus miles with no issues. Doesn't make sense that you ended up with two bad water pumps.

Best days to ride end in "Y"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 PM

So BMW will give you a loaner bike while you wait for the repairs?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
So BMW will give you a loaner bike while you wait for the repairs?
No loan bike unfortunatelly, very well serviced by bmw!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8NONU View Post
Very interesting that you've had to replace the water pump twice and an alternator in such a short time. On other forums there are people with 12,000 plus miles with no issues. Doesn't make sense that you ended up with two bad water pumps.
It could be my gs is a bad copy due to poor quality control by bmw since it is made in india. What a shame.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Garage
@Rm78 , Hello Trudy, I really hope this last service resolves your BMW's issues. If no joy, raise your issues with BMW Germany
W8NONU likes this.

2017 Black G310GS
2011 CBR250R
2007 BMW F800ST
2006 Kawasaki ER6F
2006 Bajaj CT100(cheap training bike)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm78 View Post
It could be my gs is a bad copy due to poor quality control by bmw since it is made in india. What a shame.
Seems that you are in the minority of 310GS owners that have mechanical issues with the bike. Also sounds like you have larger problems created by your dealer which you in turn blame on BMW. BMW didn't manufacture the water pumps or alternators. They are however responsible to insure any components used in the build of their bikes are going to perform well. I've owned and have friends who own many different BMW motorcycles. I also have friends with Japanese bikes, Italian bikes and Harleys. I don't know any group of motorcycles that haven't had an issue at one time or another. I had one BMW that had to have the rear drive replaced, but after five different BMW's and over 600,000 miles on them I would consider them to be some of the best bikes I've owned. In your case, a responsible dealer would question two water pumps failing in such a short time on the same bike and should investigate why this could have happened. Because I don't live near a BMW dealer, I've had a BMW dealer mail me parts I needed for routine maintenance. They sent the parts without payment and told me to just pay next time I was in the shop. The BMW dealers I've dealt with across the USA have all been more than helpful when I was traveling and always fit me in for tire changes, oil changes, etc. You possibly did get a "lemon bike" and sounds like your dealer lacks customer service, but the generalization that BMW's are not reliable is a stretch.

Best days to ride end in "Y"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoisps View Post
@Rm78 , Hello Trudy, I really hope this last service resolves your BMW's issues. If no joy, raise your issues with BMW Germany
Thanks @francoisps ,
Yes, i have written a formal complaint to Motorrad in Germany. See what would be their response. Will let you know.
francoisps and W8NONU like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page