G310GS failure to start - starter just didn't turn over - Page 2 - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, the bike again after sitting idle for the weekend failed to start yesterday morning, opted for a push start worked like a bomb. This morning however it did the same thing, this time I just pushed enough to get one rotation if that of the crank (not attempting to start the bike, just attempting to move the crank). Then attempted to start normally, bike immediately fired up without any issue. Odd that this would help a battery issue, doubt a single rotation would change the charge of the battery.

I will check the battery voltage, alas when I need to get going I don't have time to pop the seat and grab a multimeter. Will check it tomorrow morning before attempting to start. The symptoms described by KiwiJeeper do sound very much the same, all that is left it so check the battery charge. Just odd the battery light doesn't feature - got ask what it's purpose/value is. Plus that a single rotation of the crank was enough to start the bike normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 AM

You might be having a problem with the starter. You know like in cars in the older days the starter wouldn't turn, tap with a hammer a couple of times and it worked. It used to work with a bump or two in a manual transmission.
G0MYW likes this.

2018 G310GS - white
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Checked the battery voltage before attempting to start the bike this morning. 12.8V, which looked really good but then I turned the ignition to on and the true situation was revealed. Battery voltage quickly dropped to 11.78V and trickled down while the ignition was left on. The bike wouldn't start, but strange enough, I left the ignition on while rolling the bike out the garage in neutral. I then for the **** of it tried starting it and it started fine. Stranger than fiction

So the battery doesn't seem capable anymore to handle the load of the headlight, taillight, fuel pump and whatever else electronic is engaged with the ignition on. Still a mystery however that it started after being moved around in neutral with a sub 12V charge.

Will try get around to replacing the battery and then provide feedback. The bike is only 1 year and 2 months old (~18000kms), not great battery life. I also ride 40kms (28-30mins) into work and 40kms out each day, so the battery gets plenty charging time.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
It sounds like one of the connections to the battery is making poor contact. Check all the connections and the starter/main fuse. Could also be the starter as someone wrote, or a sensor in the engine? Read the codes using the MotoScan app.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to RidingDutchMan
I have had exactly the same problem. This was towards the end of a 3 week motorbike trip. Brought the bike to a nearby BMW dealer and they recharged the battery and after that it worked normally. BMW did a test on battery and alternator and both worked fine (it seemed)

Then the next day it started again. I rode a few kms before a quick stop, and once I got on my bike again and it failed to start. Bike back to BMW and again after charging all was fine. But I didn't want to take any risk, so shipped the bike to my hometown and dealer where I bought it.

They charged it again and kept the bike for a week to see whether there was an electric leakage. All good they said.

One week later, same problem. Now I was quite mad about the situation as my patience was gone. They replaced the battery with a new one (under warrantee) and ultimately agreed that the battery was faulty.

Still no idea what the reason was for this.

So far so good, the bike is starting again, but for a next bike trip away from home, I am going to buy a small 'power bank' for cars / motorcycles. This should do the trick to jumpstart the bike. Will just stick it in the bottom of my pannier.

But hopefully this will not happen again. Let's see
G0MYW likes this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Let's establish whether we can push start these little bikes? I will try tomorrow, should be do-able in second or even third gear. That way we can always get going if the battery is the culprit (maybe not if it's the alternator/stator).

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
Let's establish whether we can push start these little bikes? I will try tomorrow, should be do-able in second or even third gear. That way we can always get going if the battery is the culprit (maybe not if it's the alternator/stator).
You need the battery to run the fuel pump and computer.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sure, but I'm thinking of the situation where the battery doesn't have enough left to start the bike, but enough to do its other duties. If you then manage to get the engine going, the electricity that generates could be enough to keep going.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Just to close this item out and provide feedback. The battery was replaced under warranty, no issues since. Hopefully the new battery has better longevity than the first.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page