G310GS failure to start - starter just didn't turn over - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

G310GS failure to start - starter just didn't turn over

This morning I hopped on my bike to go to work, same procedure as every day, bike in Neutral, side stand up, kill switch in correct position, ignition on, clutch in. With the ignition on, the normal noises (I suspect fuel pump) were heard, nothing abnormal. Normal ABS flashing light. However, when I pressed the starter button it behaved as though the side stand was down with the bike in gear. The only notable item was a brief display of what seemed to be an engine warning indicator on the far right side of the LCD screen (popped up for no more than a second after pressing the starter button).

I tried turning off the ignition, moving the side stand, re-engaging neutral.

No battery light, the bike has worked perfectly up until last night when I parked it, but come this morning that had changed.

I attempted to push start the bike, it turned over and almost sounded like it wanted to start. Eventually I landed up downhill with no more option to push start. I then attempted to start the bike again using the starter button and the starter motor operated and the bike started as normal. I have now driven the bike into work, some 40kms without incident, wondering if it will start when I need to leave this afternoon.

My initial suspicion is that the bike has a cam sensor that may be at the root of the issue, does anyone know if these bikes have cam sensors? By push starting the cam position would have changed and may have woken up the sensor, again assuming there is a cam sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ligkonakos
Seems confusing, you said that initially the starter button behaved -and sounded- as if the bike was in gear with the side stand down. When you attempted to push start did it make the same sound or was it cranking?

I'm no expert, however, the former sounds like a side stand circuit not working as intended or has gotten stuck; the latter sounds like a battery or starter issue.

Let us know afterwards when you finish from job how it goes.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

With the bike in neutral the side stand sensor is out of the equation anyway. The odds of both side stand and neutral sensor malfunctioning together is very slim.

The push start forced the engine to crank over a couple time, rolled in 2nd gear and popped the clutch. I get the feeling the forced rotation of the engine resolved what ever the issue was, which suggests a sensor issue on the engine, but I can find no exciting sensors in the engine diagram I have located on the web. I have heard mention of a crank sensor, but have found no sign of such a sensor.

I have subsequently started the bike normally, nothing worse than an intermittent issue, never know when it will strike again and almost certain the dealership will give it a clean bill of health.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 AM

Well I had exactly those symptoms last week, and found the battery dead. Subsequent dealer checks have confirmed that the stator windings are cooked and need replacing.... Bike was fine in the morning when I rode it to work. Dead in the evening when I tried to go home. Keep an eye on your battery voltage.

2018 G310GS - white
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
KuwiJ: Daxiet's symptoms are different as his battery was/is fine.

This sort of thing is why it's so good to be able to read fault codes. Just this weekend I bought the MotoScan app, as my bike needs service in a few weeks. Through the scanner, the bike will likely be able to tell you what the problem was.
G0MYW likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM

BMW....one unreliable motorcycle brand. The G310R is my first BMW motorcycle, and I'm starting to regret buying it seeing these stupid issues. I've never had these issues with Japanese bikes.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
KuwiJ: Daxiet's symptoms are different as his battery was/is fine.

This sort of thing is why it's so good to be able to read fault codes. Just this weekend I bought the MotoScan app, as my bike needs service in a few weeks. Through the scanner, the bike will likely be able to tell you what the problem was.
Symptoms were actually very similar. Battery was at 10.5v, starter wouldn't turn over but everything else electrical worked. I didn't try bump starting because it was in a parking garage.

There is no voltage indicator on the dash. I had no battery warning or anything else on the dash either.

As for the scanner, I have two that I have been using on the Jeeps as well. No error codes.

2018 G310GS - white
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM

A battery showing only 10.5V is a permanently dead battery.

Use this to easily monitor the battery voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
G0MYW likes this.

Last edited by NIKITAUCLA; 03-27-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKITAUCLA View Post
A battery showing only 10.5V is a permanently dead battery.

Use this to easily monitor the battery voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AGM battery can sometimes be salvaged and recharged.

But we shouldn't have to worry about such things on a new bike from a reputable company. How many cars have voltage indicators now? I haven't seen many since the 1970s.

2018 G310GS - white
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM

BMW is a "reputable" company? LOL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page