Automatic braking - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Automatic braking

I originally started a thread under the title of bike stalling but since the event that made me think that I was driving too slowly I have had a repeat of the problem and it is clearly the brakes automatically engaging at 40mph. I posted the following 2 days ago but have had no reaction much to my surprise so I am trying again, clearly I need a better understanding of the problem before I ride my bike again

I took bike to dealer (to see if I would be the subject of a recall) and explained that bike stalled at 40mph on a flat road and then became stationary before I could select a low gear. They ran diagnostics and found nothing but confirmed that my bike was to be recalled for replacement brake callipers.

On the way to my BMW dealers this morning (for the new callipers to be fitted), going down a steep hill at approx. 40 mph, about the same distance from home as before, the brakes came on by themselves and we did an emergency stop into the roadside. I nearly went over the bars but held on tightly enough. The bike would not move (i.e. could not be pushed) because the brake(s) were on so tight, After a few seconds I was able to ride again and the same thing happened. I then rode the remaining mile to the dealer, very slowly.

So the bike is at the dealers but they do not know what the problem is of if the recall is connected. Since my original letter from the dealer said 'carry on riding' I am very concerned. Anybody know anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:10 PM

Is this rear brake only? If so and the brake has been adjusted too far in order to raise the engagement point it is possible for the brake to engage as it warms up. The obvious solution is to back off the adjustment.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
did any abs lights come on
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM

aftermarket levers?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejg View Post
........... confirmed that my bike was to be recalled for replacement brake callipers..............

Well, this sounds like it may be related to your brake malfunction.

Someone above mentioned back brakes, but even locking the back brake won't make you feel like you were about to go over the bars, so it must be the front? Correct? Can you tell the difference when it happens?
The bike has ABS, so if the wheel(s) are in fact being locked, then there is a major problem.

Anyway, ignore the dealer's assertions that it is ok and get them to fit the replacement callipers as per the 'recall' you mention.

As for calling it 'stalling at 40mph'...... Stalling implies the engine stopped. Pulling in the clutch would have prevented the stall, independent of any brake lock-up.

Peter - Newcastle, Australia

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OX-34; 06-12-2019 at 09:30 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 PM

What model and year is your bike? And in which country are you located?
Never heard of a brake recall and never got any letter about this but did a quick search and I've found there was apparently a recall in Europe for some of the early G310R, something about brake caliper coming loose
But recall or not, what you described sounds very dangerous. In no way you should accept to "carry on riding" in such conditions.
At least your bike is at the dealer now.
Let them do the recall and let them test drive the bike after and figure it all out if any remaining issue.
Keep us informed of the outcome.

'18 G310R
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heap View Post
What model and year is your bike? And in which country are you located?
Never heard of a brake recall and never got any letter about this but did a quick search and I've found there was apparently a recall in Europe for some of the early G310R, something about brake caliper coming loose
But recall or not, what you described sounds very dangerous. In no way you should accept to "carry on riding" in such conditions.
At least your bike is at the dealer now.
Let them do the recall and let them test drive the bike after and figure it all out if any remaining issue.
Keep us informed of the outcome.
Most other countries had this issue rectified before the bikes where sold, if your handle bar has torx bolts I think the issue has been rectified on your bike.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:54 AM

Yeah it sounds like the front caliper wasn't installed correctly, and it's probably binding against the rotor at random. Definitely not a safe condition, and I'm amazed the dealer told you to continue riding. They should have trailered the bike at their expense to ensure you didn't get hurt. I'm glad you're OK.

When did you buy it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recall.png
Views:	18
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	13202  

Red 2018 G310GS
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:26 AM

the only thing I can think of is the gear lever touching the MC piston before it engages, or perhaps too much brake fluid so that the calliper pistons cannot retract after you release the brake lever. I do not believe that anything is wrong with the callipers themselves. bmw dealers are just morons.

speaking of which, someone mentioned that it is not dangerous because of having ABS. it is not true, both the brake pads and the rotor will extremely overheat before the ABS kicks in. i had this situation with Tiger 800 after changing the MC and putting too much brake fluid. My bike stopped, locked the front brakes, in the middle of the road before ABS engaging and the rotor was blue from the heat.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
...speaking of which, someone mentioned that it is not dangerous because of having ABS. it is not true, ........

Ahh, I mentioned the ABS and said "there is a major problem".

Peter - Newcastle, Australia

Other Bikes:
Yamaha Super Tenere
Triumph Tiger 800
Yamaha FJR1300
Honda Valkyrie 1800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page