• 1 Post By imedemit
  • 1 Post By KeremOzcu
  • 1 Post By lightning
  • 1 Post By lightning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Battery dead won't start

Hi,

I read a lot about g310r in this forum before buying it (and after) but i registered just now. I bought my g310r (my second bike, first one was ybr125) at the start of 2018 and waited 2 months to get my driver license ( my father rode my bike while that time ) it is a really a nice bike but with lots of problems those problems were mostly because of vibration (sounds at passenger pegs, mirrors and dash board...) or cold start (sometimes doesn't start until 3-4 trys) but today;

I was at holiday for 1 month and nobody ride my bike while that time. This morning i decided to go to my BMW dealer for 20.000 km service (bike was at 19.200 km). I cleaned the bike, cleaned and oiled the chain. I was ready to go, i get on my bike prepared everything and when i pressed to the starter button nothing happened. I heard that sound you hear when you turn on the key (probably fuel pump) so i decided to push start the bike. After first try bike started, but after 2 minutes i accidently put the side stand down to wear my helmet and bike stopped. After that i decided to test if anything changed so i pressed to the starter button. Again it didn't work (didn't heard the starter motor, nothing. just a little icon lighting for 0.5 second. I don't remember which one). I pushed start the bike again.

When i talk with the dealer about it they told me the battery is dead and they couldn't recharge it. They told me i have to change it. I asked them if they would be able to change it under warranity. They told me they contacted with BMW Germany to ask about it but Germany will probably answer tomorrow. Leaved my bike at the dealer and returned home with bus (took me 1.5 hours).

How did i ride my bike with a dead battery that they didn't be able to recharge (I assume the alternator can't charge neither) ? What can be the reason? As far as i know the life of these batteries are for 4-5 years or is it normal ? Can there be another problem about any other part related to battery? (Dealer didn't gave me much info, they just told me they couldn't recharge the battery and they need to change it)

I am from Turkey and sorry if i have any spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:14 PM

If for some reason the battery became completely depleted while you were not riding the bike for a month, it will likely be ruined.
They don’t like being completely discharged.
Maybe if you need a new battery, you could fit a lithium one and save about 3kg in weight.
Did the dealer say that the alternator was charging properly when they tested it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Dealer didn't say anything about alternator, if they don't replace it under warranty i will probably look for a cheaper battery (the original one costs about 250 euro) can you suggest me any other battery that i can use

edit: I called the dealer just now, they told me they are still waiting for BMW Germany's response about warranty.

Last edited by KeremOzcu; 07-18-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM

battery is under warranty..i'd claim a new battery from bmw last month.

please make sure your dealer check if the alternator also not charging..because i'm also already claim the alternator last year..huhu
KeremOzcu likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, when i go to get my bike i will ask them about the alternator too
G0MYW likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 PM

250 Euros for a battery?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372636861930
KeremOzcu likes this.

Last edited by lightning; 07-18-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I am not able to buy it from here (they don't post it to Turkey). I will look at the stores nearby that i can buy it (if they don't replace of course).

Edit: I looked it up and find almost the same battery (12V 8AH Yuasa with the same dimensions) not sure about the model number. Thank you again

Last edited by KeremOzcu; 07-18-2019 at 06:06 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM

Any make of battery will work.

I chose Yuasa as it’s one of the best brands, there are many different makes available
But Yuasa have been going for decades

If you are changing the battery, why not fit a lithium battery, and save 3kg weight.
KeremOzcu likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Today my dealer called me to say they will replace it under warranty and i don't have to pay for anything. I also asked them about the alternator and they said they already tested everything and the only problem was at battery

In the manuel it says if i don't ride the bike for 4 weeks (or more) and the battery dies they don't have to change it under warranty but i am grateful that they did.

Manuel recommends to secure the battery if you are not going to ride your bike for a while (more than 4 weeks).

Thank you all for replying and helping me. Also thanks to BMW for maintainin the costumer satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Any make of battery will work.

I chose Yuasa as itís one of the best brands, there are many different makes available
But Yuasa have been going for decades

If you are changing the battery, why not fit a lithium battery, and save 3kg weight.
As far as i know you changed your battery with a lithium one. I don't know about the pros or cons, right now it looks like i don't need to change. Without knowing everything (the way it charges and it's reliability) i probably won't use it but in the future i may be use it. thank you for your suggestion
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:00 PM

I think the only disadvantage with a lithium battery is that it isn’t as good at starting the bike in very cold weather

The main advantage is the lighter weight.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page