• 1 Post By Cees Klumper
  • 1 Post By G0MYW

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Rear brake switch issue

Yesterday I decided to adjust a bit the point where the rear brake engages, and in order to do so removed the brake pedal. As I did, a tiny flimsy steel 'blade' fell on the ground. It turned out to be the little 'feeler' that is part of the brake light microswitch. One of its two little 'eyes', that secure it to the body of the switch and allow it to pivot and do its thing, was bent inwards. I figure it was installed damaged like that, and the switch only worked because the pedal held the feeler somewhat in place. I bent it back prooerly and with some fiddling was able to re-fit it. Will probably order a new switch, but wanted to post this here in case someone's rear brake light switch is inoperable, could be the same issue.
G0MYW likes this.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Update: new microswitch is around $38. Similar switches go for $5 elsewhere. I think I will hold off ordering a new one until I really need it, then get a generic one with the same dimensions.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, the brake switch failed again (lost the 'feeler blade' altogether this time). I had to order a new one at $38 because it's integral to the wiring and plug. I replaced it today and it was more involved than I expected: lots of tiewraps to cut and replace (5 of them), taking off the light grey colored metal plate the foot peg is bolted onto, loosening the brake fluid reservoir, undo various other bolts, the switch itself; the whole procedure took me about an hour. But it's fixed and works as it should again. I could have taken the bike to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty, but that would have cost me half a day I'm sure (nearest dealer not THAT far away, but still about 45 mins each way, and then the waiting while they spend the hour to fix it). Plus now I know how it all fits together down there.
G0MYW likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 AM

Garage
well done good job sorted.
Like you Cees , I'm happier if I do the job.
My last visit to the dealer [caliper change] the brakes were all spongy when bike returned to me.!
Did them properly myself, now sorted .
For those of you thinking why did'nt I complain to the dealer.
Well they are condescending , and make out I'm a complete idiot. [heaven forbid that I criticise their mechanics]
Their punch line would be " well thats how they are meant to be - they are all like that.."
Cees Klumper likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page