Head gasket leaking - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Head gasket leaking

Second hand 2148 km(2018) bike. Already some head gasket problems. Leaking oil on exhaust side, leaking coolant on vent hose, oil level is above max and the oil is foaming. Programmed on service this week. I am very curious how long it's gonna take for the dealer to solve my beloved friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_134202_1569194896962.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	13650  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Relax, it should all be under warranty try to get a loaner during this time and it won't matter how long it takes.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Garage
Popzoltan,

"Leaking oil on exhaust side, leaking coolant on vent hose, oil level is above max and the oil is foaming".

Leaking coolant is "quite normal" and can be fixed under waarenty. Most of us did (didn't we ??!!)
Leaking oil, above level and foaming is something serious. To much oil will cause leaking problems but foaming sounds to me that there is much to much oil in there which is not healthy for the engine. Building up to much pressure and acting as if the inside is making "whipped cream" (foam).
Drain oil !!!!

Gasket problems give the beemer some time to warm up before you (or teh owner before you) open the throttle.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

High oil level is my bigest concern. The bike in August at 2000 km was at the dealer, than the oil was changed. I am assuming that the oil level was correct, so where the plus is coming from? That's why I am thinking that coolant is entering in the oil! Also the coolant level was below min when I got the bike! Anyhow tomorrow I have an appointment to the dealer's service and a loner bike was premised if the repair is takes several days.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popzoltan View Post
Second hand 2148 km(2018) bike. Already some head gasket problems. Leaking oil on exhaust side, leaking coolant on vent hose, oil level is above max and the oil is foaming. Programmed on service this week. I am very curious how long it's gonna take for the dealer to solve my beloved friend.
usually, tightening the top head screws would solve the problem, if the oil leaks from the top. this is the first thing I would do at home.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
My BMW C650 scooter was overfilled with oil by the BMW dealer during its first service. I had to remove about half a liter.

2018 G 310 R, 2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Today called the service! They told me that the bike is ended leaking oil at the gasket and they completed and sent a report to the factory and waiting for the answer what to do to solve the problem. They are moving kinda slow. They gave me a c 400 gt scooter (which is an excellent commuter) but I whant my baby gs back as short as possible!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page