BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Camshaft /Rockers

14K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  porth 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I was thinking about this a few months ago. The bike does seem to be ticking much louder. I haven't ridden since July dues to service light popping up with a date.

I need to haul her in for side stand and brake recall. I was going to ask about it then.

#3 ·
Normally, camshaft and rockers last the life of the bike. never heard of anyone replacing them on modern motorcycles. in the most common scenario, if there is noise in the engine, either the camshaft chain is too loose or there is too much clearance in the valves and valve shims need to be replaced.

#29 ·
I have a 2019 g310gs and the intake cam is completely worn out. Bmw recommends replacing both intake and exhaust cams and followers at the tune of $1200 for just the parts! Bike has 11,500miles on it. The exhaust cam lobe’s look just fine. So that’s what is getting fixed $600 bucks for parts. I’m the mechanic! It’s a common problem. You would think there would be a recall! Yeah I’m a little pissed!

#5 ·
I have no idea what models all of those K numbers refer to but it would appear that it is German made components that are involved, from the few bike specific references.

If that is the case then it would be a lottery winning ticket chance that components made in an Indian factory suffered the same manufacturing fault.

The 310 is almost clattery in comparison to Japanese machinery so maybe Strike Zero is just hearing the normal noises.

#24 ·
I'm fnding the information you've posted to be priceless at this moment - thank-you for sharing. Having recently experienced my first trip to a BMW Motorrad workshop in the UK, for the fear that my engine's noise had become abnormal.

My fears were confirmed by a brief technicians report - late on a Saturday shift mind you, so I will endeavour to gain a second opinion, and a broader view of what was checked, including the procedure (for the vehicles history documentation, while also trying to fully understand the process on my beloved machine).

To be continued..

K02 310R
K03 310GS

mentioned on page 2 3rd paragraph.

Mainly mentioned it just in case anyone outside US has an issue as they seem to get more info than most countries motoring recalls.

#7 ·
Interesting. Those parts must all have the same source then. I wonder if TVS use a different source for their own model or if BMW have ironically been caught in a "must have higher quality than Indian for these parts" scenario that has backfired.

#13 ·
Only my opinion as an Engineer with 35 years experience?
I have a single cylinder 300cc Honda which purrs with zero noise
I have a twin cylinder Honda 500cc which purrs with zero noise
I have a V twin 650 Suzuki which purrs with zero noise.

The BMW is not noise free, My GS was in for service with BMW and I was given a 310R as a loaner, this was also unrefined and excessively noisy - FACT. I loved riding the GS but the clunky gear shift, noisy engine, diving forks, poor brakes made me decide to trade it in and lose a lot of money.
The bike that replaces it is how a bike should be (in my opinion)
I have nothing against the GS but it's not for me

:wink2:

#17 ·
Only my opinion as an Engineer with 35 years experience?

I have a single cylinder 300cc Honda which purrs with zero noise

I have a twin cylinder Honda 500cc which purrs with zero noise

I have a V twin 650 Suzuki which purrs with zero noise.

The BMW is not noise free, My GS was in for service with BMW and I was given a 310R as a loaner, this was also unrefined and excessively noisy - FACT. I loved riding the GS but the clunky gear shift, noisy engine, diving forks, poor brakes made me decide to trade it in and lose a lot of money.

The bike that replaces it is how a bike should be (in my opinion)

I have nothing against the GS but it's not for me

:wink2:

I agree with your observations, and likewise I’m a lifelong mechanical engineer with 40 years under my belt.
My VStrom 650 was beautifully refined; likewise my 155 single Honda. The 300cc Yamaha which I sold to buy the 310GS was so smooth , and SILENT, and faster, and 20% better on fuel!
The G310 engine is nothing short of EMBARRASSING, and if I’m honest I’m already seriously worried that it’s not going to last very long, and it’s only just completed 7000km and had it’s 2nd oil and filter change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Rockers not a problem

My bike has done over 67000 km since new and the valve clearances have been checked, The clearances are still good and I'm not expecting any change in the near future. Other than the muffler, two batteries, two side stand issues and now the brake recall the bike has been amazing.
Next major service is at 90000km, lets see what happens then.

#21 ·
I looked again at that document and it says that K03 model is affected and yet the original rockers need be used, so who knows if the replacement will be better. The noise is supposed to be experienced while driving, not idling. I personally just came from a long trip and feel that the ticking noise has become stronger, but I hear it when the bike is idling and hot. I will check soon the valve clearance, just waiting for the valve shims to arrive, as I will do it by myself.

#22 ·
Anybody had replacement Camshaft or rockers done ?

Just trying to find out numbers of owners and if they saw the old parts.

Link to info I found.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165274-9999.pdf
Hi my r310gs 2019 with 900 miles the cams shafts have failed terrible tapping noise and badly worn being replaced under warranty , bmw say they have had hardening issues on camshafts tbh i am disapointed i have had dozens of older second hand bikes with no issues the 310 is my first new bike cush drive failed at 200 miles recall on brake calipers and now camshaft issues.i would think very hard before buying one.

#27 ·
Anybody had replacement Camshaft or rockers done ?

Just trying to find out numbers of owners and if they saw the old parts.

Link to info I found.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165274-9999.pdf
I have a serious top end noise issue. Bike has been in dealer since 14 Sept, identified as cam/rocker/valves issue, awaiting BMW approval of post warranty claim. It’s done 4600 miles, full BMW history, last serviced by different dealer about 700 miles ago. Interesting reading the US bulletin about rockers and camshaft replacement ! May need to reproduce that if it turns onto a tussle !!