Down Shifting Issue - Gear Lever does not return back to normal position - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Down Shifting Issue - Gear Lever does not return back to normal position

Dear All,

I scouted through the forum and I could not find the peculiar issue that I faced with my 2018 310GS. Thus a new post.

I was on 1400+ kms ride over the weekend. The bike was checked, oil changed before I started on this ride. After about travelling about 450 off kms through the ride, I suddenly realized that I am not able to down shift the gears while slowing down. The issue was when I down shifted from 6th gear to 5th gear, the gear change lever would remain stuck at the bottom and would not return back to its original position to be ready for next gear change, especially the next down shift from 5th gear to 4th gear and so on so forth.

Every time I down shifted, I had to nudge the gear shifter from the bottom with my toe to get it back to "normal" or default position and then again press it downwards for next down shift.

I can feel the spring action/ tension in the gear lever to return back to normal position after every up shift, but that is missing for every down shift. Somehow, I discovered the action to "nudge" gear shifter from below after every down shift by trail and error and continued to complete my entire journey. While it was not an issue on the highway, but difinitely was when it came to crossing towns/villages on the way.

Now I will have to drop it back to the Service Center to get this corrected.

Till now, the baby GS has completed 14500+ kms in last 11 months with a battery issue, radiator fan issue and now this.

I have owned several other bikes prior to this one, never faced this issue.

Has anybody faced this earlier?

Take care and ride safe

Rajesh
G310GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 AM

I also noticed some "resistance" in the gear lever when downshifting.
I have a G310GS with 4500km
In my case it often happens that in downshifting the lower gear shows some resistance to enter.
To facilitate entering the gear I have to release a bit the clutch lever

the risk in urban commuting is that of having the bike stalling or worse turning off in the middle of a crossroads

I will ask BMW service to check for the problem at the annual check on Feb-2020
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update - Return spring of gear lever broken

Dear All,

I had taken my bike to Service Center on Thursday last and as per initial diagnosis during the ride, it is confirmed that return spring attached to gear lever has been broken. As a result, at the time of downshifting, the gear lever does not come back to its default position. The spare return spring is currently unavailable with the Service Center and the request to procure the same has been lodged.

I hope that they get it at the earliest and I get my bike soon. 8th December, I completed one year of ownership of the bike and unfortunately, its with the dealer on her first year anniversary of ownership. :-(

I owned multiple bikes previously, few of them for over 10+ years, but never had this issue with gear lever return spring. Did not expect this from BMW

Take care and ride safe

Rajesh
G310GS
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Kavthekar View Post
Dear All,

I had taken my bike to Service Center on Thursday last and as per initial diagnosis during the ride, it is confirmed that return spring attached to gear lever has been broken. As a result, at the time of downshifting, the gear lever does not come back to its default position. The spare return spring is currently unavailable with the Service Center and the request to procure the same has been lodged.

I hope that they get it at the earliest and I get my bike soon. 8th December, I completed one year of ownership of the bike and unfortunately, its with the dealer on her first year anniversary of ownership. :-(

I owned multiple bikes previously, few of them for over 10+ years, but never had this issue with gear lever return spring. Did not expect this from BMW
good that solution was found. it happens, a faulty part, a quality control issue. probably, the gearbox is made in India. it is not to say that if something is made in India, it is necessarily inferior. the bikes made by TVS or other similar companies that made small-displacement bikes are actually very reliable.

as you love riding, you need to love you bike

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page