The clutch! Too sensitive! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The clutch! Too sensitive!

Iíve seen it mentioned on here (somewhere but couldnít find it sorry) and Iíve seen this mentioned on NUMEROUS YouTube reviews about the sensitivity of the clutch!
Together with the engineís ease of stalling (for which Iím told there is a recall), the clutch seems to go from fully engaged to free in about 2mm movement on the lever! Itís caught me out on a few occasions and for a novice it makes it VERY difficult to control especially off road when you really NEED to feather the clutch to keep control.
One highly respected YouTube reviewer actually ended with a plea to BMW to ĎPlease sort out the clutchí .
You donít need to have a degree in mathematics or geometry to understand how it works. Pulling on the clutch lever pulls the cable and at the other end this lateral movement is transferred to an angular turn of the clutch mechanism via another lever...

Now to me it seams an easy fix for BMW to do.
At the gearbox end, letís just assume to disengage the clutch you need to rotate the lever 5 degrees which equates to a 5mm pull on the cable. If this lever is made LONGER, then the same 5degree now needs more pull on the cable... maybe 6 or 7mm. More pull on the cable means you need more pull on the clutch lever, which means itís not as sensitive and easier to control!
It seems too easy in theory so what am I missing here? The clutch lever would also be easier to pull (less torque).
Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G0MYW and Cees Klumper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 08:35 AM
PCV

An easy home mod for anyone sufficiently bothered about it.

Something along these lines https://m.facebook.com/shedworksdotnet/photos/a.1449981731887336/1614231688795672/?type=3k
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:07 AM

You've got to make sure your new lever fully disengages the clutch pack or you will end up with premature clutch wear. This is especially true if, like me, you leave your bike in 1st while waiting at a red light.

There appears to be more travel than necessary in the factory lever, so I added a few mm of slack to the cable to move the friction zone a bit more to the center. This was all I needed, because my main problem was that I couldn't work the friction zone when only my fingertips were on the lever at the end of its travel. I also added adjustable levers after I broke the factory one, but I'm not sure how much difference they actually make.

I did find this article about stalling:
BMW G310 GS Stalling Problem Fix ? Deelip Menezes
But, honestly, it just sounds like they've made the throttle response more sluggish for people who don't work the friction zone.

Red 2018 G310GS
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff PD View Post
Together with the engineís ease of stalling (for which Iím told there is a recall)
There is no world wide recal issued by BMW Motorrad for fixing cold start or stalling problems. As I wrote in an other thread of this forum, there is (officialy) no stalling or cold start issue with the BMW G310GS. As others already stated in other threads, we owners are just inexperienced, not used to dirt bikes and we need to learn the noble art of cluching (wich is an advanced technic). Oh, I forgot to mention the problem with our arrogance, specialy towards the self-proclaimed experts who frequently publice in this forum.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
I think Geoff is really onto something. I also think the 'Deelep Meneses' blog post is a bit off the mark, personally, as I don't see how higher revs help the clutch engage more gradually. I give the engine plenty of gas when I try to take off from first, it's the 'fraction of a millimeter between no bite and full bite' that always gets me.
I will use the upcoming long weekend to see if I can come up with an easy extension to the lever arm at the engine block, as I am sure that will do the trick in my case. As I wrote on another thread, I think there are differences between bikes that account for some of us to have many problems, and others none at all (more so than the experience differences).
marci and Geoff PD like this.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 02:38 AM

maybe a Chinese producer can be contacted to make a bit longer arm at engine level...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Klumper View Post
I also think the 'Deelep Meneses' blog post is a bit off the mark, personally, as I don't see how higher revs help the clutch engage more gradually. I give the engine plenty of gas when I try to take off from first, it's the 'fraction of a millimeter between no bite and full bite' that always gets me.
I'm sure the theory is that the higher RPM will place you higher in the torque curve, allowing for faster clutch engagement or slipping the clutch a bit rather than grabbing completely and stopping the engine cold. But holding the throttle a bit open would accomplish the same thing.

I fully agree that there are probably variations between bikes that cause some of us to have issues and others not, regardless of experience level. The clutch squeal that some of us experience is evidence of that, IMO.

If we're ever in the same area, I would love to check our bikes out side-by-side to compare the differences in behavior.

Red 2018 G310GS
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
if you use a longer clutch arm, you will need to make sure that the clutch lever has enough play to allow the longer arm to move the full distance
Geoff PD likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
For me there is nothing more 'inexperienced' than having to rev the bollox out of the engine to stop it stalling when the real problem is that the clutch lever goes from all-to-nothing in about 2mm of movement. I've never had a bike with a clutch as sensitive as this. When you're in stop-go heavy traffic it's SO embarrassing!
So if by making the arm a little longer means that the 2mm all-to-nothing lever movement can be say, 3mm, that's a 50% increase! It still leave plenty of free movement for the lever so there's no risk of clutch dragging.
On another issue, using high revs and slipping the clutch more than necessary every time you move off is going to severely reduce your clutch life.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselman View Post
There is no world wide recal issued by BMW Motorrad for fixing cold start or stalling problems. .
Yes 'Recall' was the wrong terminology, but BMW have acknowledged that it definitely IS a stalling problem and do have a fix which can be done by the dealer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page