headlight bounce - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Corne
  • 2 Post By W8NONU

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

headlight bounce

for those of you riding at night and hate the bouncing headlight, there is a simple fix that will eliminate 90% of the bounce.

remove the headlight (can be done without removing the panels just a bit nerve-racking.
remove the light mounting mount (3X 5mm allen screws)
remove the rubber grommets
replace the bracket adding a washer ontop of the bracket to all 3 screws
fit headlight

problem solved

the bounce is from the bracket being rubber mounted its rather poor design on BMW part and was always going to bounce about like this and the plastic mount is the source of the remaining 10% of bounce but its very close to every other bike I have ever owned now and worth the 15 min to change. why BMW could not see the issue is beyond me it is a minor change to do from the factory might even save 2 min in the production line as they would not need to fit the stupid rubber bits. I've done more than 2000km like this now and no issues. to report from doing it. all my bikes have been hard mounted os no reason to believe this will affect lamp life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Much simpler fix is to look at the headlight mount from the sides. You can see how the mounts move by wiggling the headlight. I cut two small wedges out of some semi pliable rubber and when pushing the headlight down a little, I shoved the wedge between the headlight and the mount on each side. No more movement and no need to take anything apart. When I do eventually take the headlight assy apart, I will make a more robust system to hold the headlight in place.
G0MYW and GravyLoops like this.

Best days to ride end in "Y"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8NONU View Post
Much simpler fix is to look at the headlight mount from the sides. You can see how the mounts move by wiggling the headlight. I cut two small wedges out of some semi pliable rubber and when pushing the headlight down a little, I shoved the wedge between the headlight and the mount on each side. No more movement and no need to take anything apart. When I do eventually take the headlight assy apart, I will make a more robust system to hold the headlight in place.
15c for 3 washers no need to make up anything and to get the headlight out is 2 bolts.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I don't mind the bounce. I am sure, if BMW designed it that way, there are must be some benefits to it. my fog lights are so strong that they overrun the main light (itself being full LED)

as you love riding, you need to love you bike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 03:18 PM

Garage
I didn't mind the minor bounce when I had the stock headlamp.
Didn't notice it when I switched over to the Cyclops LED bulb for the stock headlight housing.
Barely notice the headlight even with the Cyclops LED when I have the aux lights turned on (which is most of the time).

But that is just me. YMMV.
-N
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Garage
headlight bounce

I very rarely ride at night, so for me the headlight is all about being seen. For that reason the slight bouncing of headlight is a distinct advantage because the flickering effect makes me MORE visible..... in fact out on the highway I get ‘flashed’ probably every 5 or 6 minutes because other drivers coming towards me think that I’m ‘flashing’ them !
So, I’ve changed to an led bulb and I hope I continue to get ‘flashed’ at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page