BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

BMW may have solved the problem

11K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Britmech 
#1 ·
Yet again, it's Matt that lets us know.

#4 ·
Do these new pieces solve the Cold Start Issue?
Or the problems are not related?
No, they are not directly related. Indirectly they might be slightly related. The fix is refering to a charging issue. If you can't get your battery charged, you can't get your engine started in any weather, cold or hot ;-)

And, eventually, how can we have our old Stator changed with the new one under warranty?
By letting it break while still under warranty. However, I do not know any method of intentionally breaking the stator without voidind the warranty >:)

#12 ·
the simple way to check if the battery is charging or not (alternator or regulator issue) is to use a voltmeter. if you start the bike and rev it a bit, it should give you reading close to 14V. mine is even higher. of course, there is also a possibility that the battery is damaged. so to make sure, if there is an issue, fit some other battery and do the same test.

#14 ·
I could not hear if your fuelpump started when you turned on the ignition. Does it smell of petrol from the exhaust pipe? If not, the engine doesn't get any fuel. If you smell fresh petrol (benzin) from the exhaust pipe, there is no spark. If no spark, check the sparkplug cable under the tank (I know, thera ar a zillion screws to remove). If the fuel pump don't work, check the fuses and connections to the pump.
I asume you have check that you have petrol in the tank!?

#16 ·
i feel for you motoManuel ... I have the same problem every winter <10'C
I've given up with BMW at they seem to have NO idea or care to solve this.
My own solution having tried many suggestions is to throw a thick cover over the bike ....
... in the morning (before) breakfast , I put a 1kw fan heater on underneath..!
then when kitted up to go; the poor beast is then warm enough to start.!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.