Steering wobble during hard acceleration - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Twowheeledlife

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Steering wobble during hard acceleration

Hi guys,

Since I have installed the Akrapovic exhaust system and a K&N air filter I've have experienced wobbles when I fully accelerate in first gear.
This has happened about 5 times. I've tried checking tire pressure and the handlebars but didn't find any fault. Could this be something with the front dampers or is it just the front wheel loosing contact with the tarmac?

Thank you for suggestions in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2020, 10:36 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Cees Klumper
Very odd, I never experienced anything like that. Cannot imagine what could cause this. Perhaps your guess that the front wheel is lifting is the most likely explanation.

2016 C 650 Sport and 1976 (!) Yamaha XS650
2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR, 2004 Husaberg 550 Supermotos
Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM

Garage
I know it sounds odd but I came across this on a friends Fazer some years ago.
In his case it was caused by the rear pre-load adjustment.
Perhaps checking this area, as you were working around there when swopping the exhaust.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Garage
It can also come from a jacket that is too wide and from the wind, or because you are pulling too hard on the steering.
Try shifting your weight forward (i.e. pushing with your feet instead of pulling with your arms).
Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 PM

Lifting the front wheel should not cause a wobble, in fact should stop any tendency to wobble.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers.

I did adjust the preload on the rear shock by 2 notches but I've also experienced those wobbles when it was at its original setting.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:41 AM

I do not know how many miles you have on bike, but did you have 1st service done? One of the things they do is check the head space/tighten the steering tube on frame. If it gets loose, it can cause a wobble and will probably get worst as time goes on. I probably have it named wrong but it is the main tube on the triple clamp that goes thru tube on frame.

I have the CF Akra exhaust (no K&N yet) but I can't imagine how that can cause a problem. You might be leaning back as you accelerate with your arms locked and that could cause some instability.

2018 BMW G310GS White
2017 Hyosung GD250R Black/Gray
2016 KTM RC390
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE (sold)
2008 Hyosung GT250R (crashed)
199x Kawasaki Ninja 250 (engine failure)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Garage
If your front wheel goes up in the air, itís not a speed wobble.
What I can not read is what you exactly experience.
A (speed) wobble is when your handlebars are trying to loose your hands, it vibrates roughly and fast from left to right and will end in a crash (if you do not anything).
Usually a speed wobble happens at high speeds and not in first gear.
It also depends where you put most of the weight (rider / passenger / luggage)
If your luggage (overweight) is mostly behind your rear axle ............
I think you have to check, as suggested, your rear shock and tire pressure (front and rear). If you have extra weight at the rear, adjust tire pressure (extra psi) and shock.
If you end up in a speed wobble, bring al your weight to the front of the bike (sit on the gastank) and try to slow down (use your rear break)
Good luck and stay / ride safe.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Steering head is loose as Charles has said above, when your bike is on a stand with front wheel in the air, your handlebars should gently fall from side to side when you move them slightly off centre, tighten the steering head until they just fall slowly to one side or the other in a controlled fashion, this should cure it, another reason is if you have had a small bump (light crash) on the front end, this will make the steering head bearings make indents in the steering head race, the wobble comes from the bearings trying to sit in the indents, hope this helps ����
Microto likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.