Klim TK1200 Helmet - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Klim TK1200 Helmet

Purchased a Klim TK1200 helmet from the local BMW dealer recently and I thought Iíd share a few thoughts.

One primary reasons for my choice of any helmet is weight. I have some neck issues and need to ride with a helmet in the 3 lb. range. The TK1200 fits nicely in the range, weighing in at about 3lbs. 4 ozs. depending on color. It really feels light while wearing as well. Some other features really impress me; the photochromatic (Transitions) visor adjusts to changing light conditions seamlessly, a real benefit here in Florida. The optical quality of the visor is great as well, and the field of vision is excellent.

I have a 57 cm noggin and the Klim medium fits fine..initially a bit tough on the ears putting the helmet on and taking off until I learned to rock it back and forth a bit. I also had to get used to the ratchet chin strap, but now I find this feature much easier to use than D rings.

The visor detents work smoothly and I havenít had any fogging issues as I usually crack open the visor until moving at about 10 mph. The helmet does come with a pinlock lens but I havenít found the need to use it as of yet.

The one issue I do have with the helmet is aerodynamics. At any speed (havenít used it above 65 mph.) the helmet does a fine job with air flow as long as I keep my head in the air stream. But, above 45 mph. if I turn my head even slightly to the side the helmet puts side pressure on my head and neck. I will probably get used to this, but itís somewhat disconcerting. Iím wondering if this is normal for modular helmets (this is my first one) or unique to the TK 1200 design. Any feedback from members would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM

Garage
Do you have pictures of your helmet ?

I think it is quite normal that you get more pressure when you turn your head.
The helmet aerodynamics are designed for looking forward.
The side is not very aerodynamically because most of the time you look forward.
The only time I turn my head slightly on a motorway is when I want to overtake.
Just because I want to be sure (and safe) if there is not Ďsomethingí slightly behind me.

I think you have to get used to this and build up more strength in your neck.
When you start riding faster you also build up pressure and the first few times it feels you are not able to do this more than 5 minutes.
After a while you get used to it and after building up strength in your neck and upper body you will be able to drive longer and faster.

Good luck !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanks Bas, itís great to get some feedback. Iíll post some pix of the helmet tomorrow. BTW I inadvertently started this thread as New User.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
One primary reasons for my choice of any helmet is weight. weighing in at about 3lbs. 4 ozs. depending on color.
Didn't realize the color added that much weight, how much of a difference is there between colors?
Like the idea of a tint changing feature, never knew that existed on helmets.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:12 AM

Perhaps I should have been clearer regarding the weight. The helmet shell is 100% carbon fiber. According to the manufacturer an unpainted version weighs in at 3 lbs, and paint adds 4 oz. Either way the TK 1200 is the lightest modular helmet I could find.

Itís rather interesting to take the helmet from a dark room into bright sunlight and watch the clear visor darken up in about 15 seconds. Gray day or full sun-the visor handles the full range of available light and I donít give it a second thought. I have not used the helmet at night yet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG310R View Post
Perhaps I should have been clearer regarding the weight. The helmet shell is 100% carbon fiber. According to the manufacturer an unpainted version weighs in at 3 lbs, and paint adds 4 oz. Either way the TK 1200 is the lightest modular helmet I could find.

Itís rather interesting to take the helmet from a dark room into bright sunlight and watch the clear visor darken up in about 15 seconds. Gray day or full sun-the visor handles the full range of available light and I donít give it a second thought. I have not used the helmet at night yet.
Thanks for that explanation, really like that self tinting feature. If I may ask, how much $$ ?

2018 Black 310GS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 AM

The helmet lists for $599.00 (US) for all color and size versions. I didnít find any web retailers discounting the helmet and ended up purchasing through my local BMW dealer (Jacksonville, Florida) who gave me a 10% discount. So ended up paying $540.00 plus tax. Thereís a review of the helmet on Revzilla.com if youíre interested. Couple of other facts you should know, the helmet is apparently a Klim rework of the Lazer Monaco and it is built in China. The built in China part bothered me but Klim claims that they maintain strict quality control of the product and in fact the build quality looks very good to me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG310R View Post
The helmet lists for $599.00 (US) for all color and size versions. I didnít find any web retailers discounting the helmet and ended up purchasing through my local BMW dealer (Jacksonville, Florida) who gave me a 10% discount. So ended up paying $540.00 plus tax. Thereís a review of the helmet on Revzilla.com if youíre interested. Couple of other facts you should know, the helmet is apparently a Klim rework of the Lazer Monaco and it is built in China. The built in China part bothered me but Klim claims that they maintain strict quality control of the product and in fact the build quality looks very good to me.
Chinese helmets, Indian motorcycles, various aftermarket parts from Russia, Italy, United Kingdom, Australia.
We are global riders.

2018 Black 310GS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Ainít it the truth.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM

Klim Tk1200 Pics

Apologies for taking so long to post these pictures of the Klim TK 1200 helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB22BE8C-1664-4196-9872-53A31F6D01F4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	6457   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2A0CB9-FCDF-4F73-87A1-BDF5802886D1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	6465  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page