Mongolia-UK on a G310GS !!! - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Mongolia-UK on a G310GS !!!

Aussie rider, Amy Harburg, who did the recent APC Rally with Adam Mitchinson, from Rally Raid Products, on the first 2 fully-kitted BMW G310GS as part of our testing & development of the new Adventure kits, is embarking on a massive trip.
For those that don't know she is heading off on a six month motorbike journey starting in Vladivostok, Russia then travelling to Mongolia, where Amy will be taking part in the GS Trophy as a Marshall.
After that she'll be riding her trusty lil' BMW 310GS across Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan. Then across the Caspian sea and into Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Romania and onto Italy where her plan is to take part in the HardAlpi Tour. After that she will make my way to Germany and finish up in the UK at Rally Raid Products HQ.
Who say's you need a big bike for a big adventure.....
GO AMY !!!
angiedave, Eccles, G0MYW and 4 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM

That's amazing news and I'm interested to see how the 310GS handles the GS Trophy route. I assume marshals will need to be near or on the trail as well during the competition, so it'll have to go through a lot of abuse.
Will you be keeping us updated on her progress?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:23 PM

That's awesome, looking forward to seeing how the GS handles the route alongside much bigger competitors. Any way that we can more details on what's been included in her GS' kit?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 AM

This is probably not the thread to insert this video, but Nathan Millward is a very adventurous young fellow who has been on a lot of long rides in Australia and Europe. He is going to lead a group trip across the US this summer. I think on a Himalayan; not sure.

Here he checks out a GS Rally Raid on a muddy track possibly in the UK?

Boomerius likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Amy Harburg is finished at the GS Trophy Challenge in Mongolia, and is about to head off on a mammoth trip to our Rally Raid Products HQ here in the UK, on here specially-kitted BMW G310GS, fitted with Continental TKC80 tyres front and rear, her and Adam have already completed the APC Rally in Australia earlier this year as part of our extensive testing programme of the Adventure parts designed and developed for us for this great new bike from BMW.
Who says you need a big bike for a big adventure...............just big ambition is all you need !!!

angiedave, gregtixa, JMo and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Amy Harburg, the Aussie who rode in the APC Rally with Adam earlier this year on the pair of Rally Raid-kitted BMW G310GS's, is now in Mongolia, and embarking on a massive solo trip with her trusty 'lil 310GS.
After helping marshal the entrants for the GS Trophy Challenge recently, she has swapped over from the 1200GS twin back to her own G310GS that she rode in the 5,000km APC Rally, and has left Mongolia to head West through Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Russia back towards Europe.
She will be travelling solo, mainly camping where she can, and testing the limits of the new G310GS, and our Rally Raid spoked wheels, Tractive Suspension and other parts made here in the UK, to the max.
She has already had an exciting start duet to the fact a local stray dog bit her, so she had to recieve urgent rabies injections (OUCH) before she could proceed.
Who needs a big bike for a big adventure??? Just big ambition........
We will be posting regular updates as we recieve pictures from Amy, but you can follow her on FB;

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009755834470

gregtixa likes this.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

For those G310GS owners wondering how Aussie girl Amy Harburg is progressing on her mammoth trip from Mongolia to the Rally Raid HQ here in the UK.....read on...

"Kazakhstan!!!
It's great to be in Almaty, having a few days off the bike and getting some much needed rest.

To recap.....I crossed into Russia last week sometime. The Altai Mountains are as beautiful as I was expecting. It's quite incredible how quickly the land changes once you are over the boarder. The land becomes green and lush, the mountains rise up and the best part is the roads become windy. It was a lovely ride! I didn't get to spend long in the Altai unfortunately but what I did see was beautiful.

The boarder crossing into Kazakhstan was easy and it was great have the company of Brett Allison and Yvonne Freeman for the run into Semey.

The next two days on the road to Almaty was almost torcher, it was insanely bumpy in parts and seemed to go on forever, but it was worth it to catch up with Steve Hamilton at the other end.

As I rolled into Almaty I got my first puncture courtesy of a nail, but luckily I was more or less at my hotel.
The next day I set about finding a mechanic to get some work done on Pepper. It was time for a service, change the fork oil, new front tire and I had started noticing a strange wobble in the rear end of the bike.
Now this is where bikers helping bikers was at its best. The team from Agent Orange (yep that's KTM) here in Almaty really helped me out. Not only did they happily agree to work on a BMW but they also offered to pick my bike up from the hotel to save me the hassle of changing the tire. The service manager, Leonid was awesome, his English is great and he got the work done in no time at all.
Next up for coming days is Charyn Canyon and Lake Kaindy."

Who say's you need a big bike for a big adventure......just BIG IMAGINATION !!!
angiedave likes this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Very nice indeed. What's the count on the odometer now?
Sidestand is holding up obviously, even though some pics show standing up on the pegs with the sidestand down.
Safe journeys.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickster View Post
Very nice indeed. What's the count on the odometer now?
Sidestand is holding up obviously, even though some pics show standing up on the pegs with the sidestand down.
Safe journeys.
Amy has 10,000 miles on the lock now, the side stand bracket on the frame broke recently, but she got it welded back on by a local blacksmith

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM

Enjoying these reports thanks! Was anything found with the rear end wobble?

Red G310GS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page