Rally Raid engine guard/bash plate, anyone try one? - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Rally Raid engine guard/bash plate, anyone try one?

As the title says, looking for first hand review from an owner.
So close to buying one, looks to be the best available.

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
JMo

Hi Tickster - I have one as you are probably aware, and have done a few miles with it now ;o)

Juan put together a short video recently for the week we were in Moab:

Basically it fits perfectly, allows you to change the oil with it still in place by dropping the front of it down (it pivots down from the rear) and really is the only one on the market that offers proper off-road protection by completely isolating the engine.

The first production batch went on sale recently are now arriving in customers' hands - there are already some photos and info on ADVrider, and I'm sure they will also find their way onto this forum too.

Jenny x
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 PM

can you mount crash bars with this bash plate?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:57 PM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgeek View Post
can you mount crash bars with this bash plate?
Hi Greek' - if you mean additional upper bodywork/tank bars, that is going to depend on where they mount to the frame of the bike. I've seen some that clamp around the frame tubes below the tank, which ought to work, but if they use the same lower engine mounting bolts as the brackets for the the Rally Raid engine guard, then probably not.

To be honest though, you really don't need to add any additional tubes to this bike - it's nice and narrow, and if you've got good hand-guards fitted, then they will take the brunt of any impact in the event of a fall.

The whole point of the Rally-Raid engine guard is that it offers both sump and engine side-case (and lower radiator) protection in one - those are the essential things to protect.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jx
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
To be honest though, you really don't need to add any additional tubes to this bike - it's nice and narrow, and if you've got good hand-guards fitted, then they will take the brunt of any impact in the event of a fall.

Jx
well i plan to fit as much metal as possible (crash bars, sump guard, front and rear end protectors, etc.) since the bike is full of delicate and expensive plastics. maybe i am overdoing it but i prefer to be safe than sorry. also another concern with this design is that i cannot use my central stand, which i find necessary for many reasons: lubricating chain, changing tires, safe parking when i put the bike in the boat (i live on an island and this happens a lot) and so on.do you reckon that i can come up with a solution for this, like an extra pivot or something similar?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM
JMo

Quote:
well i plan to fit as much metal as possible (crash bars, sump guard, front and rear end protectors, etc.) since the bike is full of delicate and expensive plastics. maybe i am overdoing it but i prefer to be safe than sorry. also another concern with this design is that i cannot use my central stand, which i find necessary for many reasons: lubricating chain, changing tires, safe parking when i put the bike in the boat (i live on an island and this happens a lot) and so on.do you reckon that i can come up with a solution for this, like an extra pivot or something similar?
Hi Greek' - to be honest, this argument has been done to death on both the G310GS and CB500X forums in the past, but as a quick recap:

You are of course at liberty to fit anything you like to your own bike, but at Rally-Raid Products we believe superficial light-bars, tank protectors and the like are simply adding unnecessary weight and bulk - and in a number of instances have been shown to bend into the bodywork they are meant to protect, or at the very least snag on things when riding off-road...

Of course they might help protect your bodywork in certain circumstances, but equally they might not - and regardless of whether you do have an accident or drop your bike, what you can guarantee is that you've now added a load of weight (high up) to a bike that sells itself on being lighter in weight than the other ADV bikes out there.

Consider that you don't see these kind of 'protection' bars on any off-road or rally-racing bikes, it's only the ADV crowd that seem obsessed with them - where they are effectively the 2-wheeled equivalent of those bull-bars that used to festoon Japanese 4x4s in the 1990s...

Similarly, while I'd agree a centre stand can have it's use on a primarily on-road touring motorcycle, they have no place on a bike being used off-road with any regularity, which is why it was not a consideration when developing the Rally-Raid engine guards for both the CB500X and the G310GS - the GS in particular already compromises it's ground clearance with the side-stand pivot location, hanging even more metal under the bike for 100% of the time is not going to do it any favours...

Fortunately there are already a number of well-proven options if you need to lift the wheel/s of your bike for maintenance or tyre changing - if you're not familiar, take a look at the Endurostar Trailstand or BikeMaster Lift-stick which are not only lightweight and can be stowed easily in your luggage, but can also be used on any number of different bikes too of course.

Forgive me if you feel these responses are not what you [think you'd] like to hear, but the Rally-Raid designs and specifications for under-engine protection are based on many years' off-road riding and racing experience, and we feel those principles translate just as well to more general trail and adventure riding too.

I trust you can appreciate that the priorities for genuine all-terrain riding means there are a number of key differences when compared to traditional on-road riding and touring, and we've taken the decision to design products that satisfy those demands more appropriately.

Ultimately we would not want to compromise on our own designs to try and allow for every possible permutation, and consider that there are other products on the market that may be more appropriate for certain owners and riders, while we concentrate on offer the best possible solution for those who want maximum protection with minimal additional weight.

Food for thought I hope!

Jenny x
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo View Post
Consider that you don't see these kind of 'protection' bars on any off-road or rally-racing bikes, it's only the ADV crowd that seem obsessed with them - where they are effectively the 2-wheeled equivalent of those bull-bars that used to festoon Japanese 4x4s in the 1990s...

Similarly, while I'd agree a centre stand can have it's use on a primarily on-road touring motorcycle, they have no place on a bike being used off-road with any regularity
once again, thank you for your insight.
first of all, fitting a bull bar to a 4x4 is useless (as well as dangerous for bikers) unless you are Burt Reynolds wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
i am talking about functionality, not looks here.
it's true that rally or off road bikers want to loose, not add weight. however,when racing, there is most likely a team (or at least a mechanic) supporting you so you don't need much. at the end of the day, i don't think that professional racers mind if their bike gets smashed, as long as they finish first.
however, i don't think that i will do any rallying or serious off roading with this bike, so that the stand will be a problem. even if i wanted to do so, i would get rid of the co passenger footrests, the licence plate holder, or the metal baggage rack and so on.
my plan is to tour back roads in Greece and maybe some day, do a serious trip all the way to Portugal, again by avoiding highways.
good quality crash bars can offer protection, as well as attachment points for bags and spot lights (i am talking about good quality Hepco & Becker-style bars).
those Lift stick stands that you mentioned, really look handy, but i don't like the idea of stressing a flimsy part of the bike (there is a recall for 310's due to the side stand).
I understand that this is a topic of "debate", i am just stating my needs and thoughts, thank you for your input once again.
JMo likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 AM

Cool

Quote:
once again, thank you for your insight.
first of all, fitting a bull bar to a 4x4 is useless (as well as dangerous for bikers) unless you are Burt Reynolds wearing a Hawaiian shirt.
i am talking about functionality, not looks here.
it's true that rally or off road bikers want to loose, not add weight. however,when racing, there is most likely a team (or at least a mechanic) supporting you so you don't need much. at the end of the day, i don't think that professional racers mind if their bike gets smashed, as long as they finish first.
however, i don't think that i will do any rallying or serious off roading with this bike, so that the stand will be a problem. even if i wanted to do so, i would get rid of the co passenger footrests, the licence plate holder, or the metal baggage rack and so on.
my plan is to tour back roads in Greece and maybe some day, do a serious trip all the way to Portugal, again by avoiding highways.
good quality crash bars can offer protection, as well as attachment points for bags and spot lights (i am talking about good quality Hepco & Becker-style bars).
those Lift stick stands that you mentioned, really look handy, but i don't like the idea of stressing a flimsy part of the bike (there is a recall for 310's due to the side stand).
I understand that this is a topic of "debate", i am just stating my needs and thoughts, thank you for your input once again.
Greekgeek,
I could not agree with you more! I have installed the Hepco & Becker upper and lower bars with the SW Motech skid plate and SW Motech center stand and have the look and the type of protection I was looking for. Just like you I do not do serious off road riding or rallying so this setup will work perfect for the both of us ! I have a few more parts to add and I will post pictures and include a list of everything installed. Half the fun of owning a motorcycle like this is to add the accessories that fit your needs, budget and at the end of the day put the biggest smile on your face .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Moto an and Greekgeek, you both are making valid points.
Rally Raid is making components for this model in hopes of
taking it to a higher level of off road capabilities.
You two, myself included sound like are content with more
light off road riding as was intended from stock.
But we all seem to agree that the OEM bash plate is
just not capable to take much of a hit, if it happens.
BUT....my original question still remains.
I am just liking the engineering and design of the RR bash
plate better than anything else I have seen.
So other than Jenny, I hope some others can offer a review.
Cheers,
Rick

2018 Black 310GS
2011 Royal Enfield Classic with Cozy Bullet sidecar
1981 Honda 400 Homemade Bobber
1978 Honda Naked Goldwing
16 past varieties too numerous to mention
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:30 AM
JMo

Yes, Greekgeek certainly makes some more than valid points with regard to general touring duties, and I would never discourage anyone from buying a particular product/brand that most properly suits their needs.

This has always been John (at Rally-Raid's ethos) - he is not looking to offer everything to everyone, rather design and manufacture what he considers are key products and accessories to improve a particular machine for the way he likes to ride all-terrain bikes - and we trust there are also plenty of riders looking for a similar upgrade in performance over a stock machine and/or what else is already on the market.

I would respectfully remind everyone that this thread is in the Rally-Raid Vendor section, so while we certainly encourage discussion about how various 3rd-party products might combine with and complement those that Rally-Raid manufacture, if a [rival] 3rd-party product is not directly related, please try to keep those recommendations and discussions to the general forum pages.

Thank you for your understanding!

Jenny x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page