New frame required - BMW G310 R/GS Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ktmmitch
  • 1 Post By JMo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

New frame required

Both of our BMWG 3 10 GS bikes were returned to our local dealer recently for their side stand rectification, the older of the two bikes, which was the first one in the UK, it was checked and found to be okay so they just fitted the strengthening brace. We have had a problem with the electric starter that was not engaging sometimes and when they checked it be was a couple of chipped teeth on the idler gear.
This was replaced under warranty, I must stress that this bike has not had an easy life as it is our test mule and has been used mainly for off road work and even a couple of enduros, which has involved a lot of stalling and restarting of the engine in extreme conditions so it's not such a big surprise.

The second of our bikes was checked and found to have a crack in the frame where the bracket for the side stand is welded to the frame, They have ordered a new frame for the bike which should be here in about two weeks and they expect the work to take a few days.

I must say the customer services department have dealt with this promptly and correctly, even though the older of the bikes shows much wear and tear from off-road use in it short life.
angiedave likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ktmmitch; 11-16-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:17 AM

must be nice, good dealers are rare around here, I had to take my bike 80 miles to the closest decent dealer bypassing a couple places you never want to take a bike to.
it was a month after BMW sent out letters claiming to have all the parts available before any of the dealers around here had the parts.

PS: why did they have to go and make the new leg longer?? it is quite aggravating.

Last edited by Focus Frenzy; 11-18-2018 at 02:19 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 AM
JMo

Guess who just got a notification that they're getting a new frame for their's too [currently on back order - end of this month]... must be something to do with the black ones ;o)

Jenny x
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lost in space
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Both of our BMWG 3 10 GS bikes were returned to our local dealer recently for their side stand rectification, the older of the two bikes, which was the first one in the UK, it was checked and found to be okay so they just fitted the strengthening brace. We have had a problem with the electric starter that was not engaging sometimes and when they checked it be was a couple of chipped teeth on the idler gear.
This was replaced under warranty, I must stress that this bike has not had an easy life as it is our test mule and has been used mainly for off road work and even a couple of enduros, which has involved a lot of stalling and restarting of the engine in extreme conditions so it's not such a big surprise.

The second of our bikes was checked and found to have a crack in the frame where the bracket for the side stand is welded to the frame, They have ordered a new frame for the bike which should be here in about two weeks and they expect the work to take a few days.

I must say the customer services department have dealt with this promptly and correctly, even though the older of the bikes shows much wear and tear from off-road use in it short life.
Do you have more info in this brace, like a photo. "so they just fitted the strengthening brace"

おなかいっぱいです
G310GS 2018 in red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't get lost, if you don't care where you are
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in space View Post
Do you have more info in this brace, like a photo. "so they just fitted the strengthening brace"

It involves fitiing an new side stand with a modified s/s spring, and a brace that bolts through the side stand pivot bolt and frame, to add strength

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

I found the customer services department at BMW UK the most unhelpful organisation that I have ever dealt with!
It took 3 months to do the recall - G310R (where I was afraid to use the bike in case the side stand broke). I was also sidelined for a month last summer when the water pump internals needed replacing. Even though BMW increased the warranty period to 3 years for new bikes only a few weeks after purchasing my bike, they refused to extend my warranty period (2 years) to cover the time when the bike was not fit for purpose. They were totally unhelpful and they just kept referring me back to my dealer even though both faults were manufacturing faults and not dealer related. I will never buy another new BMW.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM
JMo

Just picked my bike up from the dealer (San Jose BMW) this morning, having had the frame changed under warranty for the side-stand recall... for info. a few photos showing the changes:

They have done an excellent job - you can't even tell the bike has ever been apart!

Jx
angiedave likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 PM

mmm. Don't say That !! I just brought a black one !! and have to take it to BMW dealer next week so they can access what parts to get as apparently there are 2 types !!... I haven't got down to check myself but I do think when on the stand it does lean over quite a bit, I guess putting the strain on the stand..
Oh well I guess I will find out soon..
So when having the new frame fitted...did you get a Courtesy bike..???
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 PM

Jenny

Did the new frame come with a new VIN? Just curious.

Bob

2018 G310R Strato Blue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 PM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and Slow View Post
Jenny

Did the new frame come with a new VIN? Just curious.
Hi Old and Slow - no, the VIN stamped on the new frame is the same as the original one... I don't know if it comes from BMW like that (ie. they send a specific frame allocated to you to replace your original) or it's stamped on at the dealer - either way, it's the same as it was originally.

Jx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page