Fitting RR Scorpion exhaust. - BMW G310 R/GS Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Fitting RR Scorpion exhaust.

My new Exhaust is coming tomorrow. I have removed the OEM exhaust today which was very easy. Is it just as easy to fit the Scorpion exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:53 PM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommes View Post
My new Exhaust is coming tomorrow. I have removed the OEM exhaust today which was very easy. Is it just as easy to fit the Scorpion exhaust?
Hi Hommes - pretty much - in fact its even easier as it comes in 3 parts.

The Scorpion system has 3 sections - the initial header (which also includes the top part of the catalytic converter bulge), the link pipe which is the bottom half the Cat bulge and goes under the swing arm, and the silencer.

It ought to be obvious - in fact I want to say it should come with instructions from Scorpion anyway - but you fit the header first (to the cylinder head), then connect the mid section to the underside of the cat bulge and the bracket on the right hand footrest hanger, and then finally slot the silencer onto the pipe, and bolt it to the bracket on the pillion footrest hanger.

note. that Scorpion use spring retainers to hold their exhaust sections together, so it's handy to have a spring puller (J shaped handle) to aid fitting.

Have fun!

Brrrraaaaap!

Jenny x
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back Jenny.
I have to say that the Scorpion exhaust note is far better then the OEM unit. And it's much lighter as well. The extra "Barrrrp" 🤣 makes the power gain and weight reduction feel more like 10bhp and 15lb and not just the quoted 0.5bhp and 6lb. Lol.
It wasn't quite as easy to fit as I thought it would be. The main issue was the Cat insert didn't want to go in to the header pipe Cat chamber as easily as it should. I was told by Adam at Rally Raid that it should tap in with a rubber mallet but mine would only go in about 5mm. I had to use a press to push it in further and it is definitely never coming out again. Also I had to tweak the foot rest hanger bar a little to give the 2nd stage pipe a bit more clearance from the swing arm.
I also notice that the extra diameter of the Cat chamber bulge means the gap between the hot exhaust and the rear shock spring is only about 10mm. After a good ride the spring gets quite warm and I suspect that some of this extra heat is also getting to the main body of the shock absorber. Though I couldn't say if this will have any impact on the functioning of the rear suspension or not.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase and the great service from Rally Raid.
Next thing on my list are those lovely spoked wheels. 😉

Dave.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommes View Post
Thanks for the feed back Jenny.
I have to say that the Scorpion exhaust note is far better then the OEM unit. And it's much lighter as well. The extra "Barrrrp" 🤣 makes the power gain and weight reduction feel more like 10bhp and 15lb and not just the quoted 0.5bhp and 6lb. Lol.
It wasn't quite as easy to fit as I thought it would be. The main issue was the Cat insert didn't want to go in to the header pipe Cat chamber as easily as it should. I was told by Adam at Rally Raid that it should tap in with a rubber mallet but mine would only go in about 5mm. I had to use a press to push it in further and it is definitely never coming out again. Also I had to tweak the foot rest hanger bar a little to give the 2nd stage pipe a bit more clearance from the swing arm.
I also notice that the extra diameter of the Cat chamber bulge means the gap between the hot exhaust and the rear shock spring is only about 10mm. After a good ride the spring gets quite warm and I suspect that some of this extra heat is also getting to the main body of the shock absorber. Though I couldn't say if this will have any impact on the functioning of the rear suspension or not.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase and the great service from Rally Raid.
Next thing on my list are those lovely spoked wheels. 😉

Dave.
Thanks for the feedback Dave - yes, the two halves of the cat are/need to be a snug fit, as you don't want any gases escaping there of course (since there is no gasket as such), but as I recall I found a squirt of WD40 and a rubber mallet saw mine together in the workshop.

As for the heat, don't worry about it - my bike was perfectly fine for all those 17,000+ miles I rode it last summer, and the damping was never effected.

Have fun, with your extra '10 bhp' ;o)

Jenny x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page