BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

2017-2018 BMW G310 R / GS Recall: Side Stand, Frame Damage

13K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Geoff PD 
#1 ·

Damage to the side stand and/or frame may result in the motorcycle unexpectedly falling over while it is stationary, increasing the risk of injury.

Affected Products

2018 BMW G310 GS

2017-2018 BMW G310 R

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V408000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components STRUCTURE

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,376

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2018 BMW G310R and 2018 BMW G310GS motorcycles. Over time, repeated use and loading of the side stand could cause damage to the side stand and the motorcycle's frame.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the frame, installing a reinforcement plate and new side stand, or the frame will be replaced if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 7, 2018. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

3 Associated Documents

Recall Acknowledgement

Defect Notice 573 Report

Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- Stop Sale G 310 R and G 310 GS

See less See more
#5 ·
Sometimes it depends on the statistics, i.e. how many bikes have had this problem in certain regions.

I had something similar happen with a Mercedes ML320, there was a recall in the US because of a high number of incidents of failure of a certain part, however, in Australia there was no recall as the number of incidents was considered low due to the relative low number of vehicles sold in Australia. Even though my ML was out of the warrantee period, I kicked up a fuss, referring to the US recall and Mercedes ended up repairing the car at a substantially reduced cost.

#7 ·
Have you got a link to where you checked? The BMW international website just has a redirect to their NZ site.

My bike is actually booked for it's second service on Friday this week so will be interested to see what info the dealer has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.