BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Brake check front and rear

8K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Bald Eagle 
#1 · (Edited)
Just about to collect my G310R from dealers just had side stand mod ? , water pump replaced, cush drive replaced.

There maybe a recall/check/inspection/product enhancement --- needed for front and rear brakes, as just had a phone call about waiting to collect till they have had a chance to check.

Not sure what exactly or what age-models it effects.

#4 · (Edited)
Calipers changed

Collected the bike ,side stand Mod , cush drive , water pump and the engine case that side.

And new calipers , these have a different finish/coating old ones were corroded (1400 miles !!) not good but done now nice little ride home .
Expect to see a lot of 310's having them changed in the UK.

Going to fit a screen now and plate to rear brake lever while sun is out.

#6 ·
Hi

(Don't be silly far to practical a suggestion)

No looks as the previous caliper.

Are you of a certain age like me and can remember when bikes had the boot/bellows/dust seal and never really had a brake piston problem.

I did ask them to check the hub carrier bearing as I see movement when pulling and pushing the rear sprocket at 3 and 9 oclock-- des yours have any movement ?

#7 ·
Calipers. inspection/repair/replace

OK. after hearing some of you folk are getting your brakes seen to [ and I've not had anything official from BMW]
I called in to my dealer today, to see what the situation was...

" Havn't you had a notification yet.." [ me ] .. NO
Lad on service desk taps away at the keyboard....
" Well we need to book you in to get them seen to .."
[more tapping on his keyboard]
" We'll book you in for July 2nd .. it'll take 2 days.."
" The calipers are inspected and assessed, then fixed or replaced.."
" You'll get a loan bike for that time.."

So that's the story so far.
The bike is a G310R September 2017, UK based.

#10 ·
Ok so it's finally making its way around the world. Seems BMW don't have a proper fix yet but just replacing with same poor design until they figure out a permanent solution. Or so the US recall letter says. So to be continued.

Reactions: G0MYW
#14 ·
My rear caliper was showing signs of corrosion, they couldn't tell for the front caliper, so they replaced both. The dealer told me that the parts would typically cost around $1,000 if they had to be replaced without a recall. Took them about 2.5 hrs to replace the calipers. Apart from the demo bike, mine was the first one to get the calipers replaced. They gave me a loaner for the day, really happy with the service I've been given from the dealer :)

#15 ·
I’m not sure if people here are aware of the instructions given to BMW technicians, but I’m in the middle of having my brake calipers checked.
Firstly they said ‘we’ll check them and if corroded they will replace’
Then after I ‘explained’ to them that it was a GLOBAL recall and you should replace them corroded or not to PREVENT future safety problems they sent me the attached sheets from their technical manual.
The instructions tell them to ‘inspect the calipers for corrosion and if there is none, replace the pistons and seals using their ‘repair kit’!
Now they are telling me that mine have ‘already been changed’ as the bike was bought in October 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Does anyone know if there’s a kit for adding a second disc to the G310R. I’ve been searching but can’t see one anywhere. I’m just in the process of fitting twin discs to my 1977 Honda CB550K and would certainly like to do the same to the BMW. Any help would be appreciated. Roy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.